Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Richard Megginson <ri...@netscape.net> on 2004/04/01 05:58:57 UTC

Using Struts with Avalon

I'd like to use Avalon for the lifecycle management of Struts Action and
ActionForm objects.  But it seems that in order to do so, the
RequestProcessor class would need to be replaced, or at least the
processActionForm() and processActionCreate() methods, in order to
perform the lifecycle management upon object creation.  Is this
desirable?  I think I would only be using the LogEnabled and Serviceable
interfaces for these objects - to get the correct log to use and to be
able to use services from my Actions and ActionForms.

Re: Using Struts with Avalon

Posted by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com>.
At 8:58 PM -0700 3/31/04, Richard Megginson wrote:
>I'd like to use Avalon for the lifecycle management of Struts Action and
>ActionForm objects.  But it seems that in order to do so, the
>RequestProcessor class would need to be replaced, or at least the
>processActionForm() and processActionCreate() methods, in order to
>perform the lifecycle management upon object creation.  Is this
>desirable?  I think I would only be using the LogEnabled and Serviceable
>interfaces for these objects - to get the correct log to use and to be
>able to use services from my Actions and ActionForms.

This is purely hearsay, but have you seen Keel?   http://keelframework.org/

About all I know is that it's based on Avalon, and they namecheck Struts.

I wouldn't mind hearing more about it from someone who's used it, or
at least evaluated it.

Joe

--
Joe Germuska
Joe@Germuska.com

Re: Using Struts with Avalon

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.
Richard Megginson wrote:

> I'd like to use Avalon for the lifecycle management of Struts Action and
> ActionForm objects.  But it seems that in order to do so, the
> RequestProcessor class would need to be replaced, or at least the
> processActionForm() and processActionCreate() methods, in order to
> perform the lifecycle management upon object creation.  Is this
> desirable?  I think I would only be using the LogEnabled and Serviceable
> interfaces for these objects - to get the correct log to use and to be
> able to use services from my Actions and ActionForms.

Subclassing the RequestProcessor would indeed make sense for something
like this.

For future versions, we're experimenting with dividing the
RequestProcessor class into discrete elements using the Chain of
Responsibility pattern (see the contrib/struts-chain sources in the
Struts CVS repository, and commons-chain in the Jakarta Commons
Sandbox).  In that sort of a world, you would just customize the
corresponding elements of the chain to accomplish specializations like this.

Please report back on your progress -- I'm interested in seeing the
different approaches people take to integrating IoC and SOA type
architectures into Struts.

Craig