Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by da...@chaosreigns.com on 2011/03/21 02:06:18 UTC

Your SpamAssassin plugin description

You are listed as the contact for a SpamAssassin plugin on
http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/CustomPlugins

Please update your description of your SpamAssassin plugin on
http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/CustomPlugins to change the line
"Updated: Old" to "Updated: YYYY-MM-DD" to represent today's date.

We have had problems with unmaintained SpamAssassin addons becoming
harmful, so I'm planning to start deleting plugins listed on this page
without a reasonably recent date.

Re: Your SpamAssassin plugin description

Posted by Karsten Bräckelmann <gu...@rudersport.de>.
> Oh, and just for reference -- as the wiki main page already mentions,
> sending these requests to dev@ is preferred, rather than private@ as you
> directed them to. Well, anyway, ends up in the same guy's queue. ;)

Hrm, I just realized you basically duplicated the already existing
instructions on the main page to gain edit privs -- see Get Involved
right above the part you added.

Re: Your SpamAssassin plugin description

Posted by Karsten Bräckelmann <gu...@rudersport.de>.
On Mon, 2011-03-21 at 13:34 -0400, darxus@chaosreigns.com wrote:
> On 03/21, Karsten Bräckelmann wrote:
> > Now on to the gazillion similar requests and questions stuck in the
> > list's moderation queue. *sigh*
>
> Gazillian?
>
> I replied to Eric Lubow, Battista Biggio and Cord Beermann, who were the
> only other people I got similar replies from.

That would be roughly the sub-set of two messages per person stuck in my
queue. Then there are others who didn't reply to you, but just requested
edit privs.

Posted by da...@chaosreigns.com.

--
"Whom God wishes to destroy, he first makes mad."
- Euripides (c.480 - 406 BC).

Re: Your SpamAssassin plugin description

Posted by Karsten Bräckelmann <gu...@rudersport.de>.
On Mon, 2011-03-21 at 11:54 +0000, Steve Freegard wrote:
> > Please update your description of your SpamAssassin plugin on
> > http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/CustomPlugins to change the line
> > "Updated: Old" to "Updated: YYYY-MM-DD" to represent today's date.

> Uhm;  I appear not to have write access to the Wiki page any more.
> Username is SteveFreegard.

Yes, we've hat to put ACLs in place, after we found the wiki to be
repeatedly vandalized and abused for spam.

Just granted you full edit privs, Steve.

Posted by Steve Freegard <st...@fsl.com>.

On 03/22, Karsten Bräckelmann wrote:

> That confirmation would be good. But that probably involves some
> volunteer to actually check it. Rather than base it off on the author to
> visit his creature every once in a while, without confirming the code.

That would certainly be nice, but I think moving stuff to
CustomPluginsUnmaintained when the listed contact isn't up for updating the
"Updated" date is a substantial improvement over what the page had been.

And after this initial cleanup, I may be up for testing everything that
people have provided a new date for.

> > I did create a new entry, there was no "Updated:" before.  What would you
> > prefer it to be?
>
> Oh, OK.  Though, isn't that pretty much what Status is supposed to be?
> Possibly with some notes regarding version compatibility.

I initially thought it would be good to just include the date in the Status
field, but the Status field has a pretty specific definition that doesn't
actually seem to fit well, and I thought it would be cleaner to add a new
field.

> I really don't see the point of this timestamp. How often do you want
> the authors to update them?

Every 6 months?

This is six *years* of cruft to slog through.

> What is the exact purpose of an "author was
> last here" info anyway?

An easier way of differentiating between what should be on CustomPlugins
vs. CustomPluginsUnmaintained than testing them all, until someone
volunteers to test them all.

> A Table of Contents with relative links would be way cool. Some
> structuring, rather than chronological order (which some didn't maintain
> anyway, but added their plugin at the top instead). And perhaps a
> consistent naming scheme. Plus, of course, clearly marking or moving
> stuff that is not compatible with recent versions.

Fixed the chronological order (from wiki logs).  What fun.  The only other
changes I was thinking of was breaking it up into free and commercial
plugins, and stripping all instances of "Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::".

--
"It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees."
 - Emiliano Zapata, Mexican Revolution Leader

Re: Your SpamAssassin plugin description

Posted by Karsten Bräckelmann <gu...@rudersport.de>.

> > > I do.  I don't care when the plugin was last modified.  I do care when it
> > > was last... confirmed not horribly broken.  So "updated" might not be
> > > the best wording.

That confirmation would be good. But that probably involves some
volunteer to actually check it. Rather than base it off on the author to
visit his creature every once in a while, without confirming the code.

> > Update means just that. And last updated = old is about the same as a
> > don't use disclaimer.
>
> I did create a new entry, there was no "Updated:" before.  What would you
> prefer it to be?

Oh, OK.  Though, isn't that pretty much what Status is supposed to be?
Possibly with some notes regarding version compatibility.

I really don't see the point of this timestamp. How often do you want
the authors to update them? What is the exact purpose of an "author was
last here" info anyway?

> > Rule-sets shouldn't be listed on the CustomPlugins page you referred to.
> > And SARE rule-sets e.g. are almost entirely dead by now anyway. Yes,
> > they should not be used.
>
> I sure do fail at communicating with you, sorry.
>
> I never said it was stuff on the plugins page that had problems with
> becoming harmful.  People having problems with SARE rules that they never
> removed was part of my motivation for cleaning up the plugins page.
>
> I started with plugins because Warren had expressed interest in working on
> the CustomRulesets, and I was bugged by the cruft on the plugins page when
> I added the one for DNSWL, so I started with the plugins page.

That page sure is in need for some love and clean up.

A Table of Contents with relative links would be way cool. Some
structuring, rather than chronological order (which some didn't maintain
anyway, but added their plugin at the top instead). And perhaps a
consistent naming scheme. Plus, of course, clearly marking or moving
stuff that is not compatible with recent versions.

Re: Your SpamAssassin plugin description

Posted by da...@chaosreigns.com.

> > > I don't think the "updated" date should represent today, if that is not
> > > the date of the last update.
> >
> > I do.  I don't care when the plugin was last modified.  I do care when it
> > was last... confirmed not horribly broken.  So "updated" might not be
> > the best wording.
>
> So do not change the Update entry. Create new entry instead.
>
> Update means just that. And last updated = old is about the same as a
> don't use disclaimer.

I did create a new entry, there was no "Updated:" before.  What would you
prefer it to be?

> > > Harmful? Which ones are that? Are they just incompatible with 3.3, or
> >
> > I was mostly referring to rule sets which are now counter-productive.
>
> Rule-sets shouldn't be listed on the CustomPlugins page you referred to.
> And SARE rule-sets e.g. are almost entirely dead by now anyway. Yes,
> they should not be used.

I sure do fail at communicating with you, sorry.

I never said it was stuff on the plugins page that had problems with
becoming harmful.  People having problems with SARE rules that they never
removed was part of my motivation for cleaning up the plugins page.

I started with plugins because Warren had expressed interest in working on
the CustomRulesets, and I was bugged by the cruft on the plugins page when
I added the one for DNSWL, so I started with the plugins page.

--
"every time I race I see god" - tsuwa, #motorcycles, EFNet, 7/19/06
http://www.ChaosReigns.com

Re: Your SpamAssassin plugin description

Posted by Karsten Bräckelmann <gu...@rudersport.de>.
On Sun, 2011-03-20 at 22:33 -0400, darxus@chaosreigns.com wrote:
> > > Please update your description of your SpamAssassin plugin on
> > > http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/CustomPlugins to change the line
> > > "Updated: Old" to "Updated: YYYY-MM-DD" to represent today's date.
> >
> > I don't think the "updated" date should represent today, if that is not
> > the date of the last update.
>
> I do.  I don't care when the plugin was last modified.  I do care when it
> was last... confirmed not horribly broken.  So "updated" might not be
> the best wording.

So do not change the Update entry. Create new entry instead.

Update means just that. And last updated = old is about the same as a
don't use disclaimer.

> > > We have had problems with unmaintained SpamAssassin addons becoming
> > > harmful, so I'm planning to start deleting plugins listed on this page
> > > without a reasonably recent date.
> >
> > This really should not be based on the update date.
>
> I'm not actually going to delete anything.  I'll move stuff to a separate
> page of unmaintained stuff or something if necessary.

Good.

> > Harmful? Which ones are that? Are they just incompatible with 3.3, or
>
> I was mostly referring to rule sets which are now counter-productive.

Rule-sets shouldn't be listed on the CustomPlugins page you referred to.
And SARE rule-sets e.g. are almost entirely dead by now anyway. Yes,
they should not be used.

> > Thanks for caring about this!
>
> Thanks for the encouragement.

Re: Your SpamAssassin plugin description

Posted by da...@chaosreigns.com.
On 03/21, Karsten Bräckelmann wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-03-20 at 21:06 -0400, darxus@chaosreigns.com wrote:
> > Please update your description of your SpamAssassin plugin on
> > http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/CustomPlugins to change the line
> > "Updated: Old" to "Updated: YYYY-MM-DD" to represent today's date.
>
> I don't think the "updated" date should represent today, if that is not
> the date of the last update.

I do.  I don't care when the plugin was last modified.  I do care when it
was last... confirmed not horribly broken.  So "updated" might not be
the best wording.

> > We have had problems with unmaintained SpamAssassin addons becoming
> > harmful, so I'm planning to start deleting plugins listed on this page
> > without a reasonably recent date.
>
> This really should not be based on the update date.

I'm not actually going to delete anything.  I'll move stuff to a separate
page of unmaintained stuff or something if necessary.

> Harmful? Which ones are that? Are they just incompatible with 3.3, or

I was mostly referring to rule sets which are now counter-productive.

> Thanks for caring about this!

Thanks for the encouragement.

--
"Think, or I will set you on fire."
http://www.ChaosReigns.com

Re: Your SpamAssassin plugin description

Posted by Karsten Bräckelmann <gu...@rudersport.de>.
On Sun, 2011-03-20 at 21:06 -0400, darxus@chaosreigns.com wrote:
> Please update your description of your SpamAssassin plugin on
> http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/CustomPlugins to change the line
> "Updated: Old" to "Updated: YYYY-MM-DD" to represent today's date.

I don't think the "updated" date should represent today, if that is not
the date of the last update.

> We have had problems with unmaintained SpamAssassin addons becoming
> harmful, so I'm planning to start deleting plugins listed on this page
> without a reasonably recent date.

This really should not be based on the update date.

Harmful? Which ones are that? Are they just incompatible with 3.3, or
really harmful? FWIW, especially plugins still working with 3.2, but not
3.3 should be kept -- clearly marked (or moved to a sub-section), but
kept. After all, older versions still could benefit from it, and tend to
need more assistance as time passes.

Simply harmful plugins, regardless of version compatibility, should just
be removed. Immediately. The last updated date is irrelevant.

Thanks for caring about this!