Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Vimal Jain <vk...@gmail.com> on 2014/03/14 07:51:05 UTC

Eventual consistency in Hbase

Hi,
I heard that Hbase provides eventual consistency.
What does that mean ?
Where can i get more information on different consistency model and how
hbase achieves eventual consistency ?

--
Thanks and Regards,
Vimal Jain

Re: Eventual consistency in Hbase

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@gmail.com>.
Consistency between replicated clusters (across data centers) is
asynchronous and can also be considered "eventual". From within a single
cluster, only a single node is responsible for serving a given range of
data, so there is only one, consistent, view on that data. This model can
be relaxed via configuration with the introduction of HBASE-10070.

Posted by Vimal Jain <vk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Salabhanjika S <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bharath Vissapragada <bh...@cloudera.com>.
Not sure where you heard it, but thats wrong. HBase provides strong
consistency at the row-level. Read about CAP theorem and also there is so
much literature available on various consistency models and how they affect
your application. Google key words (consistency models in databases, CAP
theorem, paxos and related stuff)

--
Bharath Vissapragada
<http://www.cloudera.com>