Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by satish <sa...@byobroadcast.com> on 2003/07/31 08:58:13 UTC

XP Webfolders Weirdness

I discovered something very bizarre in Windows XP webfolders.  As I
mentioned before, for the case of uploading a file, (PutMethod()) I
could not figure out what character encoding windows was using for the
filename.  However for the case of making a new folder (which is
MkcolMethod() followed by MoveMethod()) I figured out what it was
doing.  And it is very strange indeed!  In
AbstractMultistatusResponseMethod.parseRequest() the desturi is obtained
by:

destinationUri = req.getHeader("Destination");

I added debug code to display the destinationUri as follows:

byte[] bytestr = destinationUri.getBytes( "ISO-8859-1" );
String debugstr = new String( bytestr, 0, bytestr.length, "gb2312" );

Then I looked at my logfile in a browser.

"debugstr" _ONLY_ showed up correctly when the browser encoding was set
to UTF-8.

Could anybody explain to me what the heck all this means?  I extracted
the bytes as "ISO-8859-1", then I created a new string using "gb2312",
but it only displays correctly as UTF-8!!  I really don't understand
this.

Satish

Re: XP Webfolders Weirdness

Posted by Oliver Zeigermann <oz...@c1-fse.de>.
satish wrote:

>I discovered something very bizarre in Windows XP webfolders.  As I
>mentioned before, for the case of uploading a file, (PutMethod()) I
>could not figure out what character encoding windows was using for the
>filename.  However for the case of making a new folder (which is
>MkcolMethod() followed by MoveMethod()) I figured out what it was
>doing.  And it is very strange indeed!  In
>AbstractMultistatusResponseMethod.parseRequest() the desturi is obtained
>by:
>
>destinationUri = req.getHeader("Destination");
>
>I added debug code to display the destinationUri as follows:
>
>byte[] bytestr = destinationUri.getBytes( "ISO-8859-1" );
>String debugstr = new String( bytestr, 0, bytestr.length, "gb2312" );

I might not understand too much of your problem, but I suspect this
piece of code does not do what you expect it to: First you convert your
string into a byte array encoded as "ISO-8859-1". Then you make a new
string out of it, claiming the bytes in your array encode your
characters as "gb2312" which is wrong. They encode it as "ISO-8859-1".
So your bytes might get misinterpreted.

Remember: Strings do not need and do not have any encoding. An encoding
is only needed when you encode your characters in bytes.

Oliver

RE: XP Webfolders Weirdness

Posted by satish <sa...@byobroadcast.com>.
I have a _VERY_ detailed trace of an extremely simple test case, which I
can repeat ad nauseum.  What should I do with my trace?  Would you, or
anybody else, be interested in looking at it?  Maybe there's something
simple I am overlooking.  Right now I am very frustrated.  Especially
since my own browser based client works flawlessly, on Windows and
Linux.  But the requirement for my project is that Windows webfolders
also have to work.  I would really appreciate any help!

RE: XP Webfolders Weirdness

Posted by Julian Reschke <ju...@gmx.de>.
Well,

Re: XP Webfolders Weirdness

Posted by Taisuke Yamada <ta...@iij.ad.jp>.
> Thought u needed utf-16 for full Chinese character listing?

Nope. UTF-8 and UTF-16 are just a character _encoding_ (read: bit
pattern) scheme and only different in a way how to express same
"character set".

UTF-8 is preferred most of the time because it is 100% upper
compatible with US-ASCII.

--
Taisuke Yamada <ta...@iij.ad.jp>
Internet Initiative Japan Inc., Technical Planning Division

RE: XP Webfolders Weirdness

Posted by Julian Reschke <ju...@gmx.de>.
Not fully true.

The Unicode repertoire is larger than 2^16. There are some Unicode code
points that need *two* UTF-16 words to encode.

RE: XP Webfolders Weirdness

Posted by satish <sa...@byobroadcast.com>.

RE: XP Webfolders Weirdness

Posted by Stuart MacPherson <ap...@dsl.pipex.com>.