Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Rik Bosman <g....@gmail.com> on 2005/12/20 09:14:59 UTC

[m2] production ready? any experience?

Hi Everyone,

Some colleages of mine visited javapolis. Vincent Massol told there that
"maven2 is not production ready" (if I rephrase it correctly).

- When will it be production ready? 2.02? 2.1?
- Are there any stories from developers using maven2 in production?

I'm a maven2 fan, and I hope to adopt it for our company soon.

Regards,

Rik Bosman

Re: [m2] production ready? any experience?

Posted by Geoffrey <jc...@hotmail.com>.
Hi,

I also went to that presentation.
I don't recall him saying that (I might be wrong), but he did say to
beware of some plugins that are still in beta, which might mean that if
you come from maven 1, you don't have all functionality of maven 1, for
example:
- The site plugin makes one site of a project and its (direct &
indirect) modules
- Idea plugin includes the parent pom (if no patches are in for this one
by next week, I 'll take a look at it :)
- ...

Like he said, it's a good idea to start writing your pom.xml and then
evaluate what special things you are doing in your current build that
maven2 can't do (yet).
Then choose to do that special things by:
- waiting till maven2 does them
- use the maven antrun plugin and script them yourself
- write custom plugins for it

Vincent did make one mistake on an overall very good presentation.
He answered it wasn't possible to produce multiple jars from one project.
According to the documentation it is:
http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-using-one-source-directory.html
It's just a really bad idea.

--
With kind regards,
Geoffrey De Smet

Posted by Dirk Olmes <di...@xanthippe.ping.de>.
Rik Bosman wrote:
> Hi Everyone,

Hi Rik,

> Some colleages of mine visited javapolis. Vincent Massol told there that
> "maven2 is not production ready" (if I rephrase it correctly).
>
> - When will it be production ready? 2.02? 2.1?
> - Are there any stories from developers using maven2 in production?

I began to introduce maven2 just about four weeks ago. Right now we have
one webapp project and one multi-module library build with maven and so
far I've had no major problems. Migrating to maven2 from no structured
build system at all, m2 is a huge gain, especially the explicit
management of dependencies helps a lot.

The largest part is yet to come, though. We have a lot of J22E stuff to
be migrated to maven (coming from a custom ant build system) and I have
the vague feeling that there may come up some problems. This migration
is on a larger timeframe, though so maybe m2 will stabilize more until then.

-dirk

--
A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.

RE: [m2] production ready? any experience?

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.
Hi Rik,

I don't think I said it that way... :-) Anyway we have the video recording
so we'll know when they're up!

Thanks
-Vincent