Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Rakesh Ranjan <ra...@gmail.com> on 2006/05/04 06:45:22 UTC

hot deployment directory

Hi all,

I have not seen much activity in hot deployment directory enhancement. I
have seen there are some bugs in the current implementation of hot
deployment directory. I am interested to work on this enhancement. So i want
to know the current status of this enhancement? Is some other member working
on this issue?

Rakesh

Re: hot deployment directory

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
Exactly.  I wrote the SFHD to demonstrate how one does hot deployment
with the new ConfigurationManager apis.  I expect this code to be
rolled into a new hot deployer implementation in 1.2 (and deleted).

Below you asked "What is the meaning of "It monitors just one
directory for one deployable element"?".  SFHD does not do directory
scanning like a real hot deployer does.  It simply inspects one
application directory on startup and decides if the application needs
to be redeployed before starting it.  There are many more things a
real hot deployer needs to do.

-dain

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.
When you're working on that, you should be sure to test with several
types of modules -- one module with a fully-specified configId (group,
artifact, version, and type), one module without a configId, and one
module with a configId but no version in the configId -- it ought to
work all ways (and probably doesn't right now).

Posted by Rakesh Ranjan <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.

Posted by Rakesh Ranjan <ra...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Joe.

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.

--
Joe Bohn
joe.bohn at earthlink.net

lose."   -- Jim Elliot

Re: hot deployment directory

Posted by Rakesh Ranjan <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.

Posted by Rakesh Ranjan <ra...@gmail.com>.
I have seen the same problems with Geronimo-1.1-SNAPSHOT also. So i will

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Matt Hogstrom wrote:
> As Aaron said we have made significant progress in testing againnst our
> test harnesses but there are lingering issues that need to be
> addressed.  Aaron (aka the JIRA magnet) has identified several usability
> and bug issues.  The first release that we put our is stable (DayTrader
> runs in most modes) but we do need to fix the lingering file lock
> problems, files being left behind on deploy, etc.  If you have some time
> Geir we have lots and lots of JIRAs and could use some warm bodies :)

Heh.  I've ordered more Round Tuits. :)

I was just wondering - I had it in my head that it was inflight for
release, and was surprised with Aaron's suggestion that more work be
done in 1.1.

I understand now.  Thanks

geir

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.
On 5/4/06, Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com> wrote:
> I thought 1.1 was done and in testing in prep for release?

No, there are still plenty of serious bugs (including, it would seem,
with the hot deployer).  We're close enough that we cut a build so
people don't have to build from SVN, but I don't think a release is
imminent.

And even if it were, a patch against 1.1 that can be applied post-1.1
is going to be a lot more useful than a patch against head when we
haven't yet merged the 1.1 changes in.

Thanks,
    Aaron

Re: hot deployment directory