Posted to user@poi.apache.org by vijayinani <vi...@gmail.com> on 2015/07/14 17:49:37 UTC

Difference in excel file size generated by microsoft access and poi

Hi,

I am generating large excel files (xlsx) using Apache POI and its
recommended SXSSF API.

I tried both by enabling and disabling shared strings table using
https://poi.apache.org/apidocs/org/apache/poi/xssf/streaming/SXSSFWorkbook.html#SXSSFWorkbook(org.apache.poi.xssf.usermodel.XSSFWorkbook,%20int,%20boolean,%20boolean)

I generate the same excel file using MS Access too.

Question: If the file size without using shared strings table i.e. by using
inlineStr is 36 MB, then the file size with using shared strings table is
35.5 MB (Not much of a difference).

But, the file size generated by MS Access is almost less than 50% of the
file size generated by POI i.e. just around 16MB.

What is causing this difference in file size though the contents are same.
Please explain the mechanism.
Is there any way to reduce the excel file size in POI too?

Kindly provide a detailed explanation if possible. Help will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Regards,
Vijay Inani

Re: Difference in excel file size generated by microsoft access and poi

Posted by kiwiwings <ki...@apache.org>.
Hi,

just in case, you know that all (not password protected) *.xlsx, *.docx,
*.pptx files are .zip files.
So I would unzip the file generated from Access and POI and diff the
content.

If unsure, I would open a bug entry, with both files ... of course 16MB and
36MB are too much,
so please generate a smaller file.

Andi