Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by yogu13 <yo...@gmail.com> on 2016/11/30 10:30:59 UTC

JournalDiskSyncStrategy in KahaDBStore

As part of https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AMQ-6377 there is a new
option introduced of periodic Sync for journal data. I do not see any
documentation of how to go about using it.

Does anyone know how to use it ?

Regards,
-Yogesh

Re: JournalDiskSyncStrategy in KahaDBStore

Posted by yogu13 <yo...@gmail.com>.
Thank you Christopher!

I have also posted
http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/QueueBrowser-can-see-messages-being-processed-but-unacknowledged-tp4719599.html;cid=1480524082799-847

Appreciate if you have any pointers for me on this one.

Posted by Christopher Shannon <ch...@gmail.com>.
I can update the documentation for this feature.

There is a new property on KahaDB called "journalDiskSyncStrategy" that can
be set either in XML config or with Java on the persistence adapter.

For example, if using XML:

<persistenceAdapter>
     <kahaDB directory="activemq-data" journalMaxFileLength="32mb"
journalDiskSyncStrategy="periodic"/>
 </persistenceAdapter>

Setting to periodic will trigger disk flushes at set intervals instead of
after every message which will reduce the load on the disk and should
improve throughput.  The default strategy is still set to "always" as it is
the safest option.  If necessary you can also tune the frequency of the
periodic sync using the property "journalDiskSyncInterval".   The default
is set to sync once a second and that seems to give a good combination of
performance vs reliability if you can tolerate up to one second of
potential message loss.