Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Andreas Neumann <ne...@karto.baug.ethz.ch> on 2006/05/17 18:09:32 UTC

Display of Special Characters (e.g. german umlauts)

Hi,

I remember that I had this problem before, but don't know how to fix.

In this example the German Umlauts are not properly displayed in Batik -
I tested with the latest SVN version.

http://www.carto.net/papers/svg/gui/combobox/index.svg

It works in all other SVG viewers (Opera, Mozilla, ASV) but fails in Batik.

I am pretty sure that all involved files are in UTF-8 No-Bom.

Is there anything I can do to make Batik display the characters ok?

Thank you for your help,
Andreas

Andreas Neumann
Institute of Cartography
ETH Zurich
Wolfgang-Paulistrasse 15
CH-8093  Zurich, Switzerland

Phone: ++41-44-633 3031, Fax: ++41-44-633 1153
e-mail: neumann@karto.baug.ethz.ch
www: http://www.carto.net/neumann/
SVG.Open: http://www.svgopen.org/
Carto.net: http://www.carto.net/

Re: Display of Special Characters (e.g. german umlauts)

Posted by th...@kodak.com.
Hi Andreas,

Andreas Neumann <ne...@karto.baug.ethz.ch> wrote on 05/18/2006 03:32:07
AM:

> But I don't use getURL in this example.

   I tried to view your example in a few text editors and
they didn't seem to get the umlauts correct either.  Do
you know what encoding is being used?  Do you know how
the encoding is supposed to be communicated to the viewer?

   Also it looks like you have since change the
referenced file...

Posted by Andreas Neumann <ne...@karto.baug.ethz.ch>.
yes, I know about this third parameter.

Posted by "Andre M. Winter - Carto.net" <ml...@carto.net>.
hi andreas,

are you using getURL in this context? i remember that the Batik getURL()
takes a thrid parameter that can be "ANSI" or "UTF-8". and it defaults
(defaulted?) to "ANSI" in Batik. that may be one reason.

andré

andre m. winter,
  cartography for internet and multimedia applications
  schiessstand 4/1, a6091 goetzens, tyrol, austria
  tel.: ++43.5234.32732
  email: <wi...@carto.net>

        new svg book with actual scripting samples out now!
             check    <http://svg.carto.net/>

Posted by Cameron McCormack <ca...@mcc.id.au>.
Hi Andreas.

Andreas Neumann:
> I remember that I had this problem before, but don't know how to fix.
>
> In this example the German Umlauts are not properly displayed in Batik -
> I tested with the latest SVN version.
>
> http://www.carto.net/papers/svg/gui/combobox/index.svg
>
> It works in all other SVG viewers (Opera, Mozilla, ASV) but fails in Batik.
>
> I am pretty sure that all involved files are in UTF-8 No-Bom.
>
> Is there anything I can do to make Batik display the characters ok?

This seems to work for me.  How do they display, if not properly?  What
happens if you specify different fonts?

--
 Cameron McCormack			ICQ: 26955922
 cam (at) mcc.id.au			MSN: cam (at) mcc.id.au