Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by Marek Lewczuk <ma...@lewczuk.com> on 2005/05/07 14:36:11 UTC

Derby vs. PostgreSQL

Hello,
I'm using PostgreSQL (and I'm very happy with that), however I'm looking
for Java-based DBMS and Derby is a proper solution. I'm just curious how
Derby looks comparing to PostgreSQL - performance, features, license
etc. Does anyone have made such a comparisons ?

Thanks in advance.

ML

Re: Derby vs. PostgreSQL

Posted by "Lance J. Andersen" <La...@Sun.COM>.

Mike Matrigali wrote:

> There are many network, web and ejb apps that can use the embedded
> driver, if it is possible to localize the database access logic in
> the application server where the database is running.

agree

> Also remember that it may be better to use both the embedded driver
> for the part of the application that can be local to the database,
> while at the same time providing network driver access to parts of
> the application that are database client/server model.  Often people
> don't realize that both drivers can be used at the same time.  The
> embedded driver operations don't have to pay network transmission
> cost, so should perform equal or better to network driver operations
> (the key factor is the amount of data flowing in either direction).

I understand .  My point was that if I need to have an application
utilize  an application client to access DatabaseA and also have web/ejb
apps access DatabaseA, I need to use the network driver as  today with
the current implementation of most application clients.  Similar
scenario is true for clustered scenarios.

I am not saying you cannot use the embedded driver, just there are some
legit reasons why it does not meet everyone's needs.

Re: Derby vs. PostgreSQL

Posted by Mike Matrigali <mi...@sbcglobal.net>.

Re: Derby vs. PostgreSQL

Posted by "Lance J. Andersen" <La...@Sun.COM>.

Re: Derby vs. PostgreSQL

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@debrunners.com>.

Re: Derby vs. PostgreSQL

Posted by Simon <si...@gmail.com>.
Hi Marek,

I have quite a lot of experience with PostgreSQL and am now working
for a company that is building a product that will include an embedded
Derby database.

Good - For a pure java embedded database I am most impressed with
derby - it is fantastic to be able to distribute a pure java solution
(tomcat etc.) - less moving parts, less dependencies, cross platform -
good.  We used HSQL to begin with and Derby blows it away for
performance.

Good - The list here is really helpful and friendly - I can only see
good things in the future.  (Same should be said for postgres, I would
add).

I do have some grumbles:

Bad - I find the docs confusing esp. with the amount of overlap b/w
"cloudscape" and "derby".  A lot of useful links/google searches dead
end into IBM land and that really frustrates me.  I assume though that
this will improve.  Postgres documentation by comparison is gorgeous.

Bad - I also find the bundled client tools really unfriendly for derby
compared to postgres - ij is horrible compared to psql.  Of course,
once you are using JDBC
you can use a whole bunch of different tools, but generally it seems a
lot of simple usability is lacking (eg. you have to set a special
parameter on the connection just to an error message back instead of a
cryptic code that you will struggle to find in documentation).

Bad - One thing that concerned me greatly was the ambiguity around
whether the driver was going to be released - yes, amazing, but true -
originally the whole DB was redistributable as open source but not the
driver to access it!  Well, I think this has been fixed for the java
access, but as far as I know if you want ODBC you are still NOT able
to redistribute the driver.   I would love to hear if this is going to
change.

I hope nobody working on derby takes these comments as a negative - if
they are wrong I apologize, please correct me.  I just wanted to give
the experience of a new user starting up with derby and the first
impressions.  Hope it's useful to you Marek!

Simon.