Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Vitus Jensen <vj...@warpmail.net> on 2008/01/23 16:55:00 UTC

Final line in revision file longer than 64 characters

Hej!

Some days ago I've created a subversion repository on my NSLU2 (small
NAS running SlugOS/be 3.10), I'm using this repository via NFS from a
single client by accessing it directly with the "file" method.  When
accessing it from the client this works, including "svnadmin dump".

But when I try to switch to the "svn" method by starting svnserve on the
NSLU2 I get errors (see subject) on the client.  The same error occurs
when I use svnadmin or svnlook on the NSLU2.  But both client and server
use the same svn versions?

NSLU2: version 1.4.5 (r25188)
client: Version 1.4.5 (r25188)

How do I debug this?

Bye,
  Vitus

Re: Final line in revision file longer than 64 characters

Posted by Vitus Jensen <vj...@warpmail.net>.
Am Freitag, 25. Januar 2008 schrieb Vitus Jensen:
> Am Freitag, 25. Januar 2008 schrieb Lorenz:
> > Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> > >Dumps are portable, yes. But "dump" is an svnadmin command, and as
> > >such it can only be run on the server, and not on the client.
> >
> > But he is able to "svnadmin dump" from the client (as the OP wrote in
> > his initial post). That substantiates my suspicion that he also created
> > it from the  client.
> >
> > Vitus, just out of curiosity: does running svnserve on the client
> > (using the repo on the NAS) work?
>
> It did work in the sense that svnserve starts and doesn't abort.  But I
> can't access the result (svn: URL) as this would trigger the above error.
>
> > Ryan, my suspicion regarding OS incompatibility stems from the NAS OS
> > mentioned "SlugOS/be" where the be indicates big endian.
> > Normal PC hardware uses little endian.
>
> Correct.  The OS on the NSLU2 is big endian.

But subversion probably runs on a lot of bigendian-machine, doesn't it?

> I did a dump from the client, a backup using tar.
> Created a new repository on the server (locally) and tried to import the
> dump:

> root@LKG2C28CD:/data$ svnadmin load /data/svn/repos
> < /data/tmp/shared/repo.1.dump
> svnadmin: Final line in revision file longer than 64 characters
> root@LKG2C28CD:/data$
>
> Aaargh!
>
> Which "final line"?  The very last line in the dump is a short one.

Started svnserve on SlubOS/be with an empty, newly created repository,
access svn://slug/ from the client: "...longer than 64 characters" :-(

As a last resort created a new repository locally on the client and loaded
the dump there.  It's no problem to start svnserve locally and access the
repository via svn://localhost/

So my conclusion is that svn on SlugOS/be-4.8 is seriously broken and I
should complain there.  Thank you for listening.

Posted by Vitus Jensen <vi...@warpmail.net>.
Am Freitag, 25. Januar 2008 schrieb Lorenz:
> Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> >Dumps are portable, yes. But "dump" is an svnadmin command, and as
> >such it can only be run on the server, and not on the client.
>
> But he is able to "svnadmin dump" from the client (as the OP wrote in
> his initial post). That substantiates my suspicion that he also created it
> from the  client.
>
> Vitus, just out of curiosity: does running svnserve on the client
> (using the repo on the NAS) work?

It did work in the sense that svnserve starts and doesn't abort.  But I
can't access the result (svn: URL) as this would trigger the above error.

> Ryan, my suspicion regarding OS incompatibility stems from the NAS OS
> mentioned "SlugOS/be" where the be indicates big endian.
> Normal PC hardware uses little endian.

Correct.  The OS on the NSLU2 is big endian.

I did a dump from the client, a backup using tar.
Created a new repository on the server (locally) and tried to import the
dump:

root@LKG2C28CD:/data$ svnadmin --version
svnadmin, version 1.4.5 (r25188)
   compiled Dec  6 2007, 19:39:48

Copyright (C) 2000-2006 CollabNet.
Subversion is open source software, see http://subversion.tigris.org/
This product includes software developed by CollabNet
(http://www.Collab.Net/).

The following repository back-end (FS) modules are available:

* fs_fs : Module for working with a plain file (FSFS) repository.

--
Vitus Jensen, Hannover, Earth, Milky Way, Universe (current)

Re: Final line in revision file longer than 64 characters

Posted by Lorenz <lo...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Posted by Vitus Jensen <vj...@warpmail.net>.

Posted by Ulrich Eckhardt <ec...@satorlaser.com>.
On Thursday 24 January 2008, Lorenz wrote:
> have you perhaps created the repository from your workstation and not
> on the server?
>
> In that case endianness or end-of-line handling my be the cause for
> your problems.
>
> Always create the repository with the svnadmin from the same
> distribution your svnserve comes from.

Ahem, are you sure? I was under the assumption that the FSFS format [1] was
designed to be OS-independent and thus could be copied to any machine.

Uli

[1] I assume we're not talking about the BDB repository type here, a) because
the OP didn't mention this and b) because it definitely is dependent on the
machine.

Sator Laser GmbH
Geschäftsführer: Michael Wöhrmann, Amtsgericht Hamburg HR B62 932

           Visit our website at <http://www.satorlaser.de/>
Diese E-Mail einschließlich sämtlicher Anhänge ist nur für den Adressaten bestimmt und kann vertrauliche Informationen enthalten. Bitte benachrichtigen Sie den Absender umgehend, falls Sie nicht der beabsichtigte Empfänger sein sollten. Die E-Mail ist in diesem Fall zu löschen und darf weder gelesen, weitergeleitet, veröffentlicht oder anderweitig benutzt werden.
E-Mails können durch Dritte gelesen werden und Viren sowie nichtautorisierte Änderungen enthalten. Sator Laser GmbH ist für diese Folgen nicht verantwortlich.

Re: Final line in revision file longer than 64 characters

Posted by Lorenz <lo...@yahoo.com>.