Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Alexis Michelle Goldstein <am...@columbia.edu> on 2002/06/02 02:18:57 UTC

Installing/Configuring Tomcat 3.3.1

Dear all,

I am at my wit's end trying to configure Tomcat on my laptop.

I've tried tomcat 3.3.1, Tomcat 4.0.3 and now 4.0.1 to no avail, each with
their own problems.  The closest I've gotten is with 3.3.1, so I'm trying
that again.  Previously, I'd been able to get the Tomcat server up and
running, and my only problem was with my java comiler.  I (unreasonably)
decided to start all over again with another version (the one my book
walked me through).  Now I can't even start the server.  It begins for a
few secods (in anoher msdos window that says "JAVA") and then shuts
down almost immediately.  I can just barely read something that
flashes across that appears to be "exception in 'main'"
or some kind of exception.

I've been following instructions first at:
http://archive.coreservlets.com/Using-Tomcat-3.2.html or
http://www.moreservlets.com/Using-Tomcat-4.html

now I'm using
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-3.3-doc/tomcat-ug.html

I've changed my memory settings to 4096, but still when I run startup,
the new window opens up only for a few seconds before shutting down again.

I also modified config.sys as follows
SHELL=C:\COMMAND.COM /E:4096 /P

I am using windows 98, have set autoexec.bat to read:
SET JAVA_HOME=C:\JDK1.3.1_03

and I appended my PATH to inlcude the last bit, as mcafee
already has a PATH setting in my autoexec.bat:

SET PATH=%PATH%;C:\PROGRA~1\NETWOR~1\MCAFEE~1;C:\JDK1.3.1_03\BIN

Obviously I have no clue what I'm doing so I'm just trying to follow
instructions.  Are there settings I may have set for my attempts at
installing previous version that need to be changed? I'm really at a loss
and would appreciate any suggestions as to other user guides online or if
anyone has any insights.

Thanks,

Alexis

Re: Installing/Configuring Tomcat 3.3.1