Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by James Green <ja...@stealthnet.co.uk> on 2002/08/02 13:45:09 UTC

Detecting download success/failure from server?

Hi all,

Got an interesting dilemma. We're developing a Apache/PHP based solution
that will involve a mobile phone (using WAP initially) connecting to our
server using an encoded GET URI (e.g. example.com/product/ordercode/get.wml
which will be picked up by PHP, checked for validity, and then send the
mobile phone product (e.g. a midi) to their phone. Question is, how do we
tell if the phone successfully received the product?

We currently get several enquiries per day saying that products didn't
arrive (although using an entirely separate system), and we want to avoid
the support costs involved with these new services, thus being able to
remove the download option immediately after confirming the download really
was received.

We believe a 200 response code is issued upon Apache being able to send the
data requested. However AIUI this doesn't mean the client got the data. It's
also been suggested that as PHP sends the object file, at the end we code an
update to our database saying it was sent, however again we can't know it
was received.

Our current theory is to check the length of the transmission in the
access.log, but we're not sure if that is conclusive either.

It's sorta like a pay-per-view thing, we're just not sure how to avoid
"please resend" pleas from customers.

If anyone has any suggestions, please speak up. Many thanks in advance.

--
James Green
Developer