Posted to dev@tinkerpop.apache.org by Stephen Mallette <sp...@gmail.com> on 2017/05/24 15:17:11 UTC

[DISCUSS] GraphSON serialization of Path

In doing some performance enhancements to GraphSON I noticed a 'bug" in
GraphSON's serialization of Path. It is inconsistent with Gryo in that it
includes properties if elements are present. That's a massively expensive
operation and will obviously make GraphSON always lag behind Gryo in terms
of performance in that area.

I'd like to "fix" that for 3.2.5, but wanted to mention it here because it
might be a breaking change in the sense that if someone is exploiting the
"bug" as a "feature" their code will suddenly stop working. In my opinion,
I'd rather see Path consistent as a format for 3.2.5 so I think we should
accept the break and document it.

If there are no objections in the next 72 hours, I'll assume lazy consensus
and move forward.