Posted to user@commons.apache.org by "Mike Sparr - www.goomzee.com" <mi...@goomzee.com> on 2006/09/19 23:24:27 UTC

[SCXML] config Listener

Hey Rahul,

I've been swamped so have not finished porting our app to the latest build.
A few other tasks in configuration and session mgmt first.  In looking into
Commons Configuration, I see they have a ConfigurationListener interface
that invokes a configurationChanged() method.

I'm curious whether something similar might be a useful enhancement to SCXML
that could allow invoking a new digestion of the SCXML engine document?
This would be similar to hot deploy but merely an optional interface
allowing that to be 'handled' if hot deploy were needed.  This would allow
the application to be updated perhaps by a graphical editor changing the
State Chart and updating the engine document.

I think minimally from an application testing perspective this would be
valuable instead of restarting app or app server.

Thoughts?

Rgds,

Mike

Re: [SCXML] config Listener

Posted by "Mike Sparr - www.goomzee.com" <mi...@goomzee.com>.
Thanks Rahul,

Once all the other components are updated, I may kick off small effort to
try this out and will report.  The one in Commons Config looks fairly
lightweight.  Perhaps if we asked that Commons Digester add similar, then it
would be included in SCXML w/o new dependency, simply updating the library?

I can see this as useful for dynamic digestion of XML documents as well and
many apps would likely benefit from ability to add hot deploy (optionally,
of course) if performance was not an issue.

If any of the Digester folks are reading this, would adding the Listener
interface that Configuration currently implements be a possibility or even
worth considering?

Thanks,

Mike

Re: [SCXML] config Listener