Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Johan Appelgren <jo...@gmail.com> on 2006/05/15 12:58:34 UTC

OT: URL in e-mail (was: Re: way to manage external code)

On 5/15/06, Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> > [snip]

> >> Have you read about vendor branches in the subversion book?
> >>
> >> <http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn-
> >> book.html#svn.advanced.vendorbr>
>
> The above URL is badly broken: Try this one:
>
> http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn-book.html

Sorry for being a little bit off topic, but in what way was the URL
broken? How should one write URLs in e-mail?

/Johan

Re: URL in e-mail (was: Re: way to manage external code)

Posted by Graham Reeds <gr...@ntlworld.com>.

Or use tinyurl links: http://tinyurl.com/sy27w

Re: URL in e-mail (was: Re: way to manage external code)

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@comcast.net>.

Re: OT: URL in e-mail (was: Re: way to manage external code)

Posted by Baz <br...@gmail.com>.
On 5/15/06, Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Different mail clients will wrap lines differently.  Your link came
> through fine for me on GMail, and I'll bet if we looked at the list
> archives, it wouldn't be broken there either.  Nico's client (which
> appears to be Outlook Express from the headers), however, appears to
> have wrapped the line on the hyphen, thus breaking the link.

Oddly enough, I spotted this happening on a co-worker's copy of
outlook this morning, it had badly mangled a mail I'd sent him. Its an
outlook preference thing, which I presume happens in outlook express
too - on the 'Format' menu, if you have 'Unwrap Text' checked, it will
insert characters into mail in order to wrap lines differently -
whatever it guesses was the mail-quote character in use at the time.
This menu item only appears when the mail is plain text. Turn it off
and you see the mail as it was sent.

The original URL was written following conventions in appendix E of
rfc2396  (which outlook supports) so it should've actually worked.

-Baz

Re: OT: URL in e-mail (was: Re: way to manage external code)

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@comcast.net>.
Andy Levy wrote:

> Different mail clients will wrap lines differently.  Your link came
> through fine for me on GMail, and I'll bet if we looked at the list
> archives, it wouldn't be broken there either.  Nico's client (which
> appears to be Outlook Express from the headers), however, appears to
> have wrapped the line on the hyphen, thus breaking the link.

It was apparently correct and legible in Johan's original message, which I'm
looking at right now in the archives. I'm not the one wrho broke it with my
mail client, though. I was reading the followup from Ryan Schmidt, which
apparently broke the URL. (Hi, Ryan!)

That sort of fun and games is why I prefer to point people to general URL's,
and leave the actual location of the relevant paragraph to the user, rather
than getting into lengthy and likely-to-break URL's.

Re: OT: URL in e-mail (was: Re: way to manage external code)

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.