Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by "Piroumian, Konstantin" <KP...@flagship.ru> on 2001/06/20 15:44:17 UTC

[C2] Build targets

Hi, Cocooners!

Is there a way to build C2 without samples and unnecesary libraries?
I need to get a clear cocoon.war - without specific Actions, jars and
samples. Just the core of Cocoon, so I could add my application files,
classes, jars and sitemaps and create a war for my application only.

Regards,
    Konstantin Piroumian.

Re: AW: [C2] Build targets

Posted by Sergio Carvalho <se...@acm.org>.
On Fri, 22 Jun 2001 10:42:57 +0200
"Carsten Ziegeler" <cz...@sundn.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just added a very simple command line tool (called st for sitemap tool)
> which is actually a java class. This tool can be called from the build.xml
> during build and can add sitemap entries to the build sitemap.xmap.
> I changed the build.xml so that an entry for the PhpGenerator is added
> to the sitemap if the php generator is compiled.
>
> We could do this for all other "optional" components as well, for example
> even for the fop classes. So we would need to add more complexity to the
> build script.
>
> One could also imagine to add a new constraint saying: "examples or not"
> and we could enhance the st tool to generate (include) example pipelines
> during the build rather then hardcoding in the build.xml.
>
> Carsten

This would be very very cool. It would allow one to have a separate dir with the Cocoon apps to deploy in cocoon, and have the build system add them at build time. Alas, I don't master ant, or I would have done it myself (I have a small shell script that strips the cvs webapp and replaces it with mine).

Having the ability to strip fop out when not needed would solve the common "can't connect to X server" errors caused by batik.

Sergio

AW: [C2] Build targets

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@sundn.de>.
> Martin Rogard wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> > Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> > I changed the build.xml so that an entry for the PhpGenerator is added
> > to the sitemap if the php generator is compiled.
>
> I don't find an example/sample/tutorial using the PhP Generator,
> any hints ?

Sorry, I never used the Php stuff...

But if you look at http:http://www.php.net/ you will find a lot about php.

Carsten

RE: [C2] Build targets

Posted by Martin Rogard <ml...@frenchtouch.net>.
Hello,

Re: AW: [C2] Build targets

Posted by giacomo <gi...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 22 Jun 2001, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> > Giacomo Pati wrote:
> >
> > One thing that we can do for convenience is to update the build.xml to not
> > depend on specific jars and exclude the sources for compilation
> > if those jars
> > are absent (see PhpGenerator).
> >
> Hi,
>
> I just added a very simple command line tool (called st for sitemap tool)
> which is actually a java class. This tool can be called from the build.xml
> during build and can add sitemap entries to the build sitemap.xmap.
> I changed the build.xml so that an entry for the PhpGenerator is added
> to the sitemap if the php generator is compiled.
>
> We could do this for all other "optional" components as well, for example
> even for the fop classes. So we would need to add more complexity to the
> build script.
>
> One could also imagine to add a new constraint saying: "examples or not"
> and we could enhance the st tool to generate (include) example pipelines
> during the build rather then hardcoding in the build.xml.

Sound cool.

Giacomo

AW: [C2] Build targets

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@sundn.de>.

Re: AW: [C2] Build targets

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org>.

Re: [C2] Build targets

Posted by "Piroumian, Konstantin" <KP...@flagship.ru>.
> <skipped>

> > > I'm absolutely agree - let it be 'minimal Cocoon'.
> > >
> > > There are options in build.xml that turns off Oracle stuff and
> > > some others,
> > > so maybe it would be convenient to have some 'minimal' param also?
> > > Just suggestions...
> > >
> > Yes, this is something I tried several weeks ago but unfortunately
> > without any success. It is possible to make a dependend compilation,
> > which means to not compile some components, e.g. the FOPSerializer.
> > But the difficult part is to change the sitemap.xmap according to
> > this. The declaration for the fop serializer should only be in the
> > sitemap, if it was compiled. Currently, I don't know how to do it.
> > Perhaps, if someone else has any idea on this?
>
> Maybe the path to sitemap can be a parameter for build.bat?
> In this case you can indicate your application sitemap and it will be
> compiled with that sitemap and all its dependencies?

Immediately appears a new questions: how to specify sub-sitemaps in this
case?

Re: [C2] Build targets

Posted by "Piroumian, Konstantin" <KP...@flagship.ru>.
<skipped>

AW: [C2] Build targets

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@sundn.de>.

Re: [C2] Build targets

Posted by "Piroumian, Konstantin" <KP...@flagship.ru>.

AW: [C2] Build targets

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@sundn.de>.

Re: [C2] Build targets

Posted by "Piroumian, Konstantin" <KP...@flagship.ru>.
> > Hi, Cocooners!
> >
> > Is there a way to build C2 without samples and unnecesary libraries?
>
> Yes, delete them ;).

How can I know which jar is necessary for Cocoon engine and which one is
used only in a sample? Of course, I can try to delete one-by-one and see
what happens :)

> > I need to get a clear cocoon.war - without specific Actions, jars and
> > samples.
>
> Well, this is a matter of taste and I don't see a general way to specify
> which jars are not needed. the samples are in the webapp subdiretory
> which is easily deletable.

As I can see, this jars are not necessary if I don't need samples and some
of the actions:

axis.jar
axis-samples.jar
batik-libs.jar
bsf.jar
fop-0_18_1.jar
hsqldb.jar
jimi-1.0.jar
junit.jar
maybeupload.jar
rhino.jar
Tidy.jar
velocity-1.1-rc1.jar
xt.jar

Am I right or maybe some this libs is required for Cocoon itself?

> > Just the core of Cocoon, so I could add my application files,
> > classes, jars and sitemaps and create a war for my application only.
>
> I don't see what the "core Cocoon" is.

By "core Cocoon" I mean Cocoon engine without any Form processing, DB, SVG,
FOP, i18n samples and actions.

But... maybe you are right saying that it's easier to delete all unnecessary
things that you don't need in your application.

> Giacomo

Konstantin.

Re: [C2] Build targets

Posted by giacomo <gi...@apache.org>.