Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Glen Mazza <gr...@yahoo.com> on 2004/09/05 14:00:07 UTC

remove layout package?

Team,

With the recent removal (who did that? ;) of the
unused layout.AreaClass and layout.TextState classes,
the fop.layout package is now empty save for its
hyphenation subpackage.

I'd like to drop the layout package and make
hyphenation a top-level package (i.e.,
org.apache.fop.hyphenation).  Comments?

As a newbie last year, having both a layout and a
layoutmgr package was confusing [1]--so another
benefit for this change is to eliminate confusion for
people just starting to look at the code.

Thanks,
Glen

[1]
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fop-dev&m=105660878214898&w=2

Re: remove layout package?

Posted by Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com>.
Glen Mazza wrote:
> Team,
>
> With the recent removal (who did that? ;) of the
> unused layout.AreaClass and layout.TextState classes,
> the fop.layout package is now empty save for its
> hyphenation subpackage.
>
> I'd like to drop the layout package and make
> hyphenation a top-level package (i.e.,
> org.apache.fop.hyphenation).  Comments?

I agree.

> As a newbie last year, having both a layout and a
> layoutmgr package was confusing [1]--so another
> benefit for this change is to eliminate confusion for
> people just starting to look at the code.

This also confused me for a moment too.

Chris

Re: remove layout package?

Posted by Simon Pepping <sp...@leverkruid.nl>.
On Sun, Sep 05, 2004 at 05:00:07AM -0700, Glen Mazza wrote:
> Team,
>
> With the recent removal (who did that? ;) of the
> unused layout.AreaClass and layout.TextState classes,
> the fop.layout package is now empty save for its
> hyphenation subpackage.
>
> I'd like to drop the layout package and make
> hyphenation a top-level package (i.e.,
> org.apache.fop.hyphenation).  Comments?

I have no problem with your proposal.

Simon

--
Simon Pepping
home page: http://www.leverkruid.nl

Re: remove layout package?

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.
On Sep 5, 2004, at 5:00 AM, Glen Mazza wrote:
> Team,
>
> With the recent removal (who did that? ;) of the
> unused layout.AreaClass and layout.TextState classes,
> the fop.layout package is now empty save for its
> hyphenation subpackage.

Thanks! Simple is better!

> I'd like to drop the layout package and make
> hyphenation a top-level package (i.e.,
> org.apache.fop.hyphenation).  Comments?

I like that... org.apache.fop.hyphenation is a much cleaner, and less
confusing change.

These changes make sense to me!

Thanks!

Web Maestro Clay