Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Casstevens, Brian" <Br...@baylordallas.edu> on 2001/06/14 14:46:43 UTC

Tomcat as standalone container

I am trying to use Tomcat as a standalone servlet container. To do this, do
I need to have the Apache Web server installed and running, or is this
contained in Tomcat?

Thanks,

Brian Casstevens

RE: Tomcat as standalone container

Posted by Christian Bernard <cb...@nagora.com>.
The Apache Web server is not contained in Tomcat. Tomcat is a Web server
which includes a servlet engine and a JSP engine. To use Tomcat, there is no
need to install a native Web server such as Apache or IIS or Netscape.
Tomcat is able to serve static html pages as well.
For production needs, Tomcat is also able to run ontop of such native
servers (either as a in-process or out-of-process container) but this is not
necessary. This is a choice which depends of your context.
For more information, download the last version and have a look to the
user's guide.

Christian BERNARD
Nagora Technologies