Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org> on 2007/08/13 22:59:05 UTC

Geronimo 2.0 Release suspended due to security issue found before release

All,

Earlier today one of the Geronimo committers discovered a bug in the
command line deployer where a null user / password on the deployer
command line will allow a user to deploy modules to a 2.0 server.
This is an unacceptable security exposure and as such we have
abandoned the release of Geronimo 2.0.

Donald Woods is going to open a JIRA for this issue and Hernan will
create a news item on our web page.

At this point we need to discuss how to move forward with a 2.0 release.

I think we should delete the tags/2.0.0 entry and replace it with a
text file that notes the svn rev of the tree before deletion.  The
purpose of this is to avoid anyone from picking up that source tree
and using it to build a server with a known security exposure.
Unless there is disagreement I'd like to do that tomorrow allowing
some time for discussion.  We can always put it back.

There are several options for the 2.0 release:

1. Use the branches/2.0 to spin up a new release as 2.0.1.
   If we do this there are a number of fixes that need to be
verified, We'd need to close out the SNAPSHOT releases again, or at
least revisit them.
   Respin and re-tck a new release.

2. Take the tags/2.0.0 to create a branches/2.0.1
   This would mean that we need to update branches/2.0 to 2.0.2-SNAPSHOT
   Copy the existing tag over and apply the security fixes.  Repsin
and release.

Personally, I vote for option 2.  Based on my experience, closing out
the SNAPSHOTs is and introducing little changes will cause us to
restart the release process.

I'd like to hear other people's input but having done the release
several times option 2 is the fastest.  I think option 1 will cause
us to not release until September.

Re: Geronimo 2.0 Release suspended due to security issue found before release

Posted by Hernan Cunico <hc...@gmail.com>.
Here is the link to the dev site home page with the latest update

http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxSITE/

within the next hour geronimo.apache.org should get updated.

Cheers!
Hernan

Posted by Hernan Cunico <hc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Aug 13, 2007, at 4:59 PM, Matt Hogstrom wrote:

> 2. Take the tags/2.0.0 to create a branches/2.0.1
>   This would mean that we need to update branches/2.0 to 2.0.2-
> SNAPSHOT
>   Copy the existing tag over and apply the security fixes.  Repsin
> and release.
>
> Personally, I vote for option 2.  Based on my experience, closing
> out the SNAPSHOTs is and introducing little changes will cause us
> to restart the release process.

Agreed.

--kevan

Re: Geronimo 2.0 Release suspended due to security issue found before release

Posted by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com>.
On Aug 13, 2007, at 4:59 PM, Matt Hogstrom wrote:

> 2. Take the tags/2.0.0 to create a branches/2.0.1
>   This would mean that we need to update branches/2.0 to 2.0.2-
> SNAPSHOT
>   Copy the existing tag over and apply the security fixes.  Repsin
> and release.

+1 for option 2

Best wishes,
Paul

Re: Geronimo 2.0 Release suspended due to security issue found before release

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.
+1 to option 2.

Let's get 2.0.1 out of the door ASAP.

Cheers
Prasad

Posted by "Jay D. McHugh" <ja...@joyfulnoisewebdesign.com>.
+1 for option 2

Re: Geronimo 2.0 Release suspended due to security issue found before release

Posted by Jarek Gawor <jg...@gmail.com>.
+1 for option 2.

Jarek

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.
+1 to option 2

Joe

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.
Good catch Donald. Can you please throw in a small test(s) in our
testsuite framework so that we can catch things like this ? There are
a lot of tests there already that can act as a template/example and
help you with your testcase.

Let me know if you need more help.

Cheers
Prasad

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.

Matt Hogstrom wrote:
> All,
>
> Earlier today one of the Geronimo committers discovered a bug in the
> command line deployer where a null user / password on the deployer
> command line will allow a user to deploy modules to a 2.0 server.  This
> is an unacceptable security exposure and as such we have abandoned the
> release of Geronimo 2.0.
>
> Donald Woods is going to open a JIRA for this issue and Hernan will
> create a news item on our web page.

GERONIMO-3404 was opened for this.

> At this point we need to discuss how to move forward with a 2.0 release.
>
> I think we should delete the tags/2.0.0 entry and replace it with a text
> file that notes the svn rev of the tree before deletion.  The purpose of
> this is to avoid anyone from picking up that source tree and using it to
> build a server with a known security exposure.  Unless there is
> disagreement I'd like to do that tomorrow allowing some time for
> discussion.  We can always put it back.
>
> There are several options for the 2.0 release:
>
> 1. Use the branches/2.0 to spin up a new release as 2.0.1.
>   If we do this there are a number of fixes that need to be verified,
> We'd need to close out the SNAPSHOT releases again, or at least revisit
> them.
>   Respin and re-tck a new release.
>
> 2. Take the tags/2.0.0 to create a branches/2.0.1
>   This would mean that we need to update branches/2.0 to 2.0.2-SNAPSHOT
>   Copy the existing tag over and apply the security fixes.  Repsin and
> release.
>
> Personally, I vote for option 2.  Based on my experience, closing out
> the SNAPSHOTs is and introducing little changes will cause us to restart
> the release process.

+1 on option #2.

Posted by Jarek Gawor <jg...@gmail.com>.
Matt,

We could at least release/publish the transaction and connector bits, right?

Jarek

Posted by Vamsavardhana Reddy <c1...@gmail.com>.
Verified that the fixes address the security bug Donald has identified.  No
regression is observed in case of GERONIMO-2266 and GERONIMO-2267.  I
suggest others verify any scenarios they can think of for possible
regression.

Vamsi

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
I've now fixed GERONIMO-3407 in trunk, rev 565657.  I added new
methods to ContextManager and removed direct use of LoginContext.
Among other things this may make implementing jaspi slightly easier.

New methods are:
     public static LoginContext login(String realm, CallbackHandler
callbackHandler) throws LoginException {
         Subject subject = new Subject();
         LoginContext loginContext = new LoginContext(realm, subject,
callbackHandler);
         loginContext.login();
         SubjectId id = ContextManager.registerSubject(subject);
         IdentificationPrincipal principal = new
IdentificationPrincipal(id);
         subject.getPrincipals().add(principal);
         return loginContext;
     }

     public static void logout(LoginContext loginContext) throws
LoginException {
         Subject subject = loginContext.getSubject();

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

> I think I've fixed GERONIMO-3404 and GERONIMO-3406 in trunk, rev
> 565599.  It might be a good idea for this to get a review before we
> port it to branches/2.0 and possibly branches/2.0.x.

I'm looking things over now... May take me a bit... Easy to get this
logic a bit twisted...

> I haven't decided how to fix GERONIMO-3407 yet, and could be talked
> out of it for 2.0.1. The problem would manifest itself as geronimo
> not working if anyone tried to  use a login module with REQUISITE
> or (I think) SUFFICIENT flags.  I don't think there's any security
> exposure, it just that you effectively couldn't log in with such a
> login configuration.

Hmm. I was thinking the big issue was with the SUFFICIENT flag -- if
a SUFFICIENT LoginModule succeeds, authentication does not proceed
down the chain of LoginModules. Thus the
SubjectLoginRegistrationModule might not be invoked.

Likewise, if a REQUISITE LoginModule fails, the
SubjectLoginRegistrationModule wouldn't be invoked. Since the login
won't succeed, this doesn't seem like a big issue. Am I missing
something?

> On a completely unrelated issue I can't build modules/geronimo-axis-
> builder in trunk as part of the main build, I get a complaint from
> javac.  I don't have problems building it by itself.  Anyone else
> see this?

I'm not having a problem...

--kevan

Re: Geronimo 2.0 Release suspended due to security issue found before release

Posted by Vamsavardhana Reddy <c1...@gmail.com>.
On 8/14/07, David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I think I've fixed GERONIMO-3404 and GERONIMO-3406 in trunk, rev
> 565599.  It might be a good idea for this to get a review before we
> port it to branches/2.0 and possibly branches/2.0.x.

We may also want to make sure GERONIMO-2266, GERONIMO-2267 and any similar
ones do not recur.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Vamsavardhana Reddy <c1...@gmail.com>.
David,

Though there are a few other minor fixes (that may not come in the way of
TCK, for e.g. R565355) that I would have wanted in 2.0.1, I felt that this
may not be the right time to bring up those as we may not "any" additional
delays in getting 2.0.1 out, perhaps we may have to think about a 2.0.2 out
of the current branches\2.0 and save these for then.  As always, it is RMs
call.

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
I'll go ahead and update branches/2.0 to 2.0.2-SNAPSHOT as this needs
to be done regardless.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Vamsavardhana Reddy <c1...@gmail.com>.
At this point, we will want to get a release out fast and address only those
issues (like the security bug Donald has found and hopefully only this) that
are blocker.

+1 to option 2, create branches\2.0.1 from tags\2.0.0.

Vamsi

Posted by Anita Kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.
+1 to option #2

Cheers!
Anita

--- Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org> wrote:

> All,
>
> Earlier today one of the Geronimo committers discovered a bug in the
>
> command line deployer where a null user / password on the deployer
> command line will allow a user to deploy modules to a 2.0 server.
> This is an unacceptable security exposure and as such we have
> abandoned the release of Geronimo 2.0.
>
> Donald Woods is going to open a JIRA for this issue and Hernan will
> create a news item on our web page.
>
> At this point we need to discuss how to move forward with a 2.0
> release.
>
> I think we should delete the tags/2.0.0 entry and replace it with a
> text file that notes the svn rev of the tree before deletion.  The
> purpose of this is to avoid anyone from picking up that source tree
> and using it to build a server with a known security exposure.
> Unless there is disagreement I'd like to do that tomorrow allowing
> some time for discussion.  We can always put it back.
>
> There are several options for the 2.0 release:
>
> 1. Use the branches/2.0 to spin up a new release as 2.0.1.
>    If we do this there are a number of fixes that need to be
> verified, We'd need to close out the SNAPSHOT releases again, or at
> least revisit them.
>    Respin and re-tck a new release.
>
> 2. Take the tags/2.0.0 to create a branches/2.0.1
>    This would mean that we need to update branches/2.0 to
> 2.0.2-SNAPSHOT
>    Copy the existing tag over and apply the security fixes.  Repsin
> and release.
>
> Personally, I vote for option 2.  Based on my experience, closing out
>
> the SNAPSHOTs is and introducing little changes will cause us to
> restart the release process.
>
> I'd like to hear other people's input but having done the release
> several times option 2 is the fastest.  I think option 1 will cause
> us to not release until September.

Got a little couch potato?