Posted to user@ambari.apache.org by Fay Wang <fa...@yahoo.com> on 2016/02/13 02:01:42 UTC

question on automating kerberization

Hi,    I am able to call Ambari REST API to kerberize my cluster without going through Ambari UI. It works most of the time. However, sometime, the keytabs in a particular node of the cluster are not generated at all, causing the grief when starting the services. Although I can always regenerate keytabs afterwards, but this is truly annoying. It is a known issue? Please advise...
Thanks,
-fay

Re: question on automating kerberization

Posted by Robert Levas <rl...@hortonworks.com>.
Fay….

We can see if Ambari even attempted to distribute the keytabs to the hosts that do not have them.  We can do this by grepping for SET_KEY in the command-*.json files in the ambari-agent lib directory

grep SET_KEY /var/lib/ambari-agent/data/command-*.json

This should come up with a few files that contain this string.  If not, than no attempt was made to distribute the keytabs or maybe the request never made it to the hosts – which I have seen happen in at least one instance and have a task to investigate what could have gone wrong.  However in that case, the keytab files were eventually distributed after what I assume to be a retry of the request (from the Ambari server).

The than that, I am out of ideas.  You can try to regenerate the missing keytab files and hope they are distributed this time.  This can be done via the API using the following

PUT /api/v1/clusters/CLUSTER_NAME?regenerate_keytabs=missing
{
  "Clusters" : {
    "security_type" : "KERBEROS"
  }
}

Rob

From: Fay Wang <fa...@yahoo.com>>
Date: Sunday, February 14, 2016 at 5:28 PM
To: Robert Levas <rl...@hortonworks.com>>, "user@ambari.apache.org<ma...@ambari.apache.org>" <us...@ambari.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: question on automating kerberization

Hi Rob,

The principals are created, and I did not see any exception/error in the ambari-server.log. Is there any other way for further investigation?

On Sunday, February 14, 2016 5:31 AM, Robert Levas <rl...@hortonworks.com>> wrote:

Hi Fay…

This is the first that I have heard of this issue. Have you noticed a pattern as to which keytab files are not being created?  Did you look in the ambari-server.log file to see if any errors are logged?  Have you looked in the KDC (or Active Directory) to see if the principal had been created?

Rob

From: Fay Wang <fa...@yahoo.com>
Date: Friday, February 12, 2016 at 8:01 PM
To: "user@ambari.apache.org" <us...@ambari.apache.org>