Posted to dev@stratos.apache.org by Sathyasuriya Priya <sa...@gmail.com> on 2014/05/05 06:07:47 UTC

Re: vagrant environment now supports testing

hi Chris,

Just some clarification on how you run your setup.

   1. You create a VM with 5gb ram and follow the instructions (install
   vagrant+virtualbox, clone your repo, run-script) inside it.
   Or your base OS in the laptop is linux and you follow the instructions
   directly.
   2. How much time does it take to finish all the steps.

Some info on what I am trying:

   1. In my old laptop with linux, I try the direct method. But virtualbox
   is not able to run 64 bit VMs.
   2. I tried creating a server machine in Google Compute Engine(GCE),
   followed direct method. Again virtualbox is not able to run 64bit VMs.

I added 32bit VM [1] in Vagrantfile and hit couple of issues.

   1. I could use ~3584 for VM memory. Increasing beyond this, VM doesn't
   start.
   2. In stratos.sh fixed a typo in fix_git_tls_bug() "sudo apg-et update"
   3. In fix_git_tls_bug() changed git version to 1.8.* since my
   ubuntu13.10 version had that.

Now the stratos.sh is taking lot of time(may be 3-4 hours) and still
executing. I see logs getting appended to stratos.log. So it's not stuck.

Can I install vagrant+virtualbox in my newer windows laptop and follow the
instructions directly in windows ?

[1]
http://opscode-vm-bento.s3.amazonaws.com/vagrant/virtualbox/opscode_ubuntu-13.10-i386_chef-provisionerless.box

Posted by chris snow <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi Suriya,

Great to hear you have had some success, and thanks for the feedback :)

Some comments inline ...

On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 10:32 AM, Sathyasuriya Priya
<sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi Chris,
>
> I am able to setup openstack+stratos using your scripts.
> I tried it on my new linux machine with following changes.
>
> Since "4.0.0-incubating" build is having problem, I commented 'git checkout
> ${STRATOS_SRC_VERSION}' line in checkout() in stratos/stratos.sh

There is a file stratos_version.conf file that you can use to set the
stratos version:

$ cat stratos_version.conf
# Example 'stratos_version.conf' file

# the stratos version to check out and build
# i.e. git checkout $STRATOS_SRC_VERSION

export STRATOS_SRC_VERSION="4.0.0-incubating-rc3"

> In stratos/stratos.sh, replaced /etc/puppet/manifests/nodes.pp with
> /etc/puppet/manifests/nodejs.pp.  I don't see the old file. So I replaced it
> to this.

I'm not sure why you needed to do this.

> In tests/example_cartridge.json, removed the line '"deployment": {},' and
> added '"maxInstanceLimit":"4",' under "iaasProvider". Looks like this has
> changed in recently.

good stuff.

> tests/test_stratos.sh couldn't find any jar file in
> /home/vagrant/stratos/apache-stratos-cli-4.0.0-SNAPSHOT/  I see the jar file
> in
> /home/vagrant/.m2/repository/org/apache/stratos/org.apache.stratos.cli/4.0.0-SNAPSHOT/org.apache.stratos.cli-4.0.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
> and copied it manually. May be this changed recently as well.

I think this error was due to the "-bin" suffix that was getting added
by mistake in the rc3 build. I have changed my scripts to be more
tolerant of file name changes.

> I tried your .bat scripts in windows. But it was asking/waiting for user
> inputs for a number of cases. Couldn't test it fully.

I'll try and fix them up.

http://lnkd.in/cw5k69

Re: vagrant environment now supports testing

Posted by Sathyasuriya Priya <sa...@gmail.com>.
hi Chris,

I am able to setup openstack+stratos using your scripts.
I tried it on my new linux machine with following changes.

   1. Since "4.0.0-incubating" build is having problem, I commented 'git
   checkout ${STRATOS_SRC_VERSION}' line in checkout() in stratos/stratos.sh
   2. In stratos/stratos.sh, replaced /etc/puppet/manifests/nodes.pp with
   /etc/puppet/manifests/nodejs.pp.  I don't see the old file. So I replaced
   it to this.
   3. In tests/example_cartridge.json, removed the line '"deployment": {},'
   and added '"maxInstanceLimit":"4",' under "iaasProvider". Looks like this
   has changed in recently.
   4. tests/test_stratos.sh couldn't find any jar file in

Posted by Sathyasuriya Priya <sa...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Chris. will try.

Posted by chris snow <ch...@gmail.com>.