Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> on 2016/05/29 16:53:25 UTC

2.6 is not source compatible with 2.5

We are going to need to update the release notes and/or site for 2.6 to
note that the 2.6 is not source compatible with previous releases. I tested
going from 2.5 to 2.6 at work and got:

[ERROR] COMPILATION ERROR :
[INFO] -------------------------------------------------------------
[ERROR] /E:/vcs/svn/...XYZ..:[155,15] reference to error is ambiguous
  both method
error(org.apache.logging.log4j.Marker,java.lang.String,java.lang.Object) in
org.apache.logging.log4j.Logger and method
error(java.lang.String,java.lang.Object,java.lang.Object) in
org.apache.logging.log4j.Logger match
[ERROR] /E:/vcs/svn/...XYZ...:[395,15] reference to trace is ambiguous
  both method
trace(org.apache.logging.log4j.Marker,java.lang.String,java.lang.Object) in
org.apache.logging.log4j.Logger and method
trace(java.lang.String,java.lang.Object,java.lang.Object) in
org.apache.logging.log4j.Logger match
[INFO] 2 errors

with source code like:

    public void xyz(final String message, final Throwable t) {
        logger.error(null, message, t);
        logger.trace(null, message, t);
    }

Next time, I'll remember to test with a "real" client.

Gary

<http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: 2.6 is not source compatible with 2.5

Posted by Mikael Ståldal <mi...@magine.com>.
What is the use case for null as first parameter to a logger method?

--
[image: MagineTV]

*Mikael Ståldal*
Senior software developer

*Magine TV*
mikael.staldal@magine.com

email.

Re: 2.6 is not source compatible with 2.5

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
Darn. I wish you had caught that before the vote.  That is not good.

Ralph

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.
That would be good. I try to remember to add @since everywhere I can
remember to, but an automated tool would help a lot.

Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: 2.6 is not source compatible with 2.5

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
Great, TY.

Gary

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

--
Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: 2.6 is not source compatible with 2.5

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

--
Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: 2.6 is not source compatible with 2.5

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
I suspect most people would have coded logger.error(message, t) though so hopefully it won’t be too bad.