Posted to dev@jmeter.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2018/07/27 20:44:55 UTC

Bug 62574 - RootCA certificate pop-up must not be automatically closed

I agree that the pop-up can be annoying, however it contains vital info.

I think there are some issues with the current behaviour which could
be fixed to improve the UX.

1) The pop-up appears every time the run button is pressed - even if
it has already been shown in that JMeter session.

2) The pop-up appears even if the cert has already been created in a
separate session

3) The pop-up appears even if the user does not need the cert, i.e. if
they are not recording HTTPS.

Changing these would considerably reduce the annoyance factor.

Also, the information could be presented other than in a pop-up.
For example, in a separate area on the page.
This would be useful as the info is actually needed before the test
recording starts.

The more I think about it, the more I think the creation of the
certificate should be done as a separate action. And this should only
be done if the user wants to record HTTPS.

One possible solution would be to load the cert details on startup and
show them on the GUI as noted above.

If there is no valid cert, then note this on the screen, and ask the
user to press a button to generate the cert if they want to record
HTTPS. When the cert has been generated, the user can be given info on
updating the browser, e.g. with a link to the docs.