Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Chris Burroughs <ch...@gmail.com> on 2011/02/02 15:22:14 UTC

Re: reduced cached mem; resident set size growth

On 01/28/2011 09:19 PM, Chris Burroughs wrote:
> Thanks Oleg and Zhu.  I swear that wasn't a new hotspot version when I
> checked, but that's obviously not the case.  I'll update one node to the
> latest as soon as I can and report back.

RSS over 48 hours with java 6 update 23:

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/5202/u2348hours.png

I'll continue monitoring but RSS still appears to grow without bounds.
Zhu reported a similar problem with Ubuntu 10.04.  While possible, it
would seem seam extraordinary unlikely that there is a glibc or kernel
bug affecting us both.

Re: reduced cached mem; resident set size growth

Posted by Ryan King <ry...@twitter.com>.
The test was inconclusive because we decomissioned that cluster before
it'd be running long enough to exhibit the problem.

-ryan

Posted by Zhu Han <sc...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 10:27 AM, Zhu Han <sc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 1:49 AM, Ryan King <ry...@twitter.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 6:22 AM, Chris Burroughs
>> <ch...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> the
>> >

>> > RSS over 48 hours with java 6 update 23:
>> >
>> > http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/5202/u2348hours.png
>> >
>> > I'll continue monitoring but RSS still appears to grow without bounds.
>> > Zhu reported a similar problem with Ubuntu 10.04.  While possible, it
>> > would seem seam extraordinary unlikely that there is a glibc or kernel
>> > bug affecting us both.
>>
>> We're seeing a similar problem with one of our clusters (but over a
>> longer time scale).

Does it mean not all your clusters running cassandra observed the same RSS
growth problem?

Posted by Zhu Han <sc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ryan King <ry...@twitter.com>.
On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 10:29 AM, Chris Burroughs
<ch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 02/02/2011 12:49 PM, Ryan King wrote:
>> We're seeing a similar problem with one of our clusters (but over a
>> longer time scale). Its possible that its not a leak, but just
>> fragmentation. Unless you've told it otherwise, the jvm uses glibc's
>> malloc implementation for off-heap allocations. We're currently
>> running a test with jemalloc on one node to see if the problem goes
>> away.
>>

> Thanks Ryan.
>
> Is it over a longer time scale because of some action taken to mitigate
> the problem, or has it always been that long for you?

My guess is that its a longer timeframe because the cluster is really
low traffic (around 100qps across 10 nodes).

-ryan

Re: reduced cached mem; resident set size growth

Posted by Chris Burroughs <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ryan King <ry...@twitter.com>.