Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com> on 2006/07/27 01:33:23 UTC

Re: Restoring testing/tomcat [Was Re: Restoring files in svn?]

Not sure if this has any side-effects, but maybe an option would be for me
to create a jira to move testing/tomcat back and attach a patch to that, and
then create the patch for the DAS stand-alone sample testing that depends on
testing/tomcat.

- Luciano

On 7/26/06, Kevin Williams <ke...@qwest.net> wrote:

> It is important that we automate the DAS stand-alone sample testing and
> the plan was to leverage from the automation already provided in
> tomcat/testing.  Will this be restored?
> Thanks,
> --Kevin
>

> Luciano Resende wrote:
>
> > Do we have any plans to restore testing/tomcat ? At least the DAS and
> > sample
> > tests ? I want to generate some patches for Tuscany-440 based on that
> > code.
> >
> > - Luciano
> >
> > On 7/21/06, Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org> wrote:
> >

> >> Should be back now ...
> >> --
> >> Jeremy

Luciano Resende
SOA Opensource - Apache Tuscany

Re: Restoring testing/tomcat [Was Re: Restoring files in svn?]

Posted by Jim Marino <jm...@myromatours.com>.
On Jul 27, 2006, at 12:24 AM, Ken Tam wrote:

> I'm also interested in getting tomcat working with the new
> architecture, but I think it's important that the integration take
> place in modular fashion so that the basic tomcat integration is as
> thin as possible, and the majority of functional testing is delegated
> down to dependent samples.  I'm concerned that the old testing/tomcat
> infrastructure was a little too monolithic.
I'm only speaking for Java SCA when I say I agree with the old
testing/tomcat being too monolithic...so please take what I say as
applying only to that subproject....

For a concrete proposal, I'd like us to have testcases that mock out
the Servlet host and test the Tuscany host API in isolation to any
particular Servlet engine or host environment. These would be
(mostly) unit/specific integration tests, lightweight, fast (~ a few
seconds total), and run as part of the checkin build.

We should also have an integration build run in the background
somewhere that tests the runtime on various hosting environments.
These tests would be less granular than the checkin build and would
be concern with verifying behavior on specific hosts.

As for testing/tomcat, I think the tests that were in there should
become tests for the samples since they are verifying application
functionality, not the operation of the runtime on a particular host
environment.

Jim

Posted by Ken Tam <ke...@gmail.com>.