Posted to users@directory.apache.org by Sean Brown <se...@saminds.com> on 2016/08/03 21:08:00 UTC

[Studio] Java requirements for Studio on OS X

What are the directory requirements for running Directory Studio on OS
X? The download page says a Java runtime environment 7 or later, but
when trying to run the download on OS X 10.11.6 with the latest Oracle
JRE version 8, it complains

"To open ApacheDirectoryStudio you need to install the legacy Java SE 6
Runtime"

I would rather not install JRE 6, does Directory Studio really require
such an old version of Java?

Re: [Studio] Java requirements for Studio on OS X

Posted by Jim Willeke <ji...@willeke.com>.
I concur with Lothar.
No issues I know of on Java 8 OS-X

--
-jim
Jim Willeke

Posted by Lothar Haeger <lo...@brummelhook.com>.

Posted by Sean Brown <se...@saminds.com>.
> On Aug 3, 2016, at 5:08 PM, Sean Brown <se...@saminds.com> wrote:
>
> What are the directory requirements for running Directory Studio on OS
> X? The download page says a Java runtime environment 7 or later, but
> when trying to run the download on OS X 10.11.6 with the latest Oracle
> JRE version 8, it complains
>
> "To open ApacheDirectoryStudio you need to install the legacy Java SE 6
> Runtime"
>
> I would rather not install JRE 6, does Directory Studio really require
> such an old version of Java?

Sorry for replying to myself, I’m not subscribed to the mailing list. Stefan
Seelmann had the right solution, Directory Studio wanted a JDK, not just
a JRE. It runs now after installing 8u102.

Re: [Studio] Java requirements for Studio on OS X

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Le 03/08/16 � 23:08, Sean Brown a �crit :
> What are the directory requirements for running Directory Studio on OS
> X? The download page says a Java runtime environment 7 or later, but
> when trying to run the download on OS X 10.11.6 with the latest Oracle
> JRE version 8, it complains
It has probably nothing to do with Java, but with OSX...

Of course, if you tell us more about the 'complaints' you get, we might
help...

> "To open ApacheDirectoryStudio you need to install the legacy Java SE 6
> Runtime"

Let me guess : it tries to use the default Apple JRE, which is a old
one. Apple is notorious bad at supporting Java, and with years , it
worsens more and more.

Again, I suggest you tell us about what you get when running studio with
a Java 8 JRZ.

Re: [Studio] Java requirements for Studio on OS X

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <ma...@stefan-seelmann.de>.
On 08/03/2016 11:08 PM, Sean Brown wrote:
> What are the directory requirements for running Directory Studio on OS
> X? The download page says a Java runtime environment 7 or later, but

Oh, that information is wrong, I'll update. The FAQ
https://directory.apache.org/studio/faqs.html is up-to-date. It seems
the JDK is required.