Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by Chris Thornett <ch...@constantia.io> on 2022/02/17 13:20:57 UTC

[FOR REVIEW] Content Pipeline Process wiki

For those who are interested in content, I've added a draft page on the
Apache Cassandra content process to the wiki (as requested) for discussion
and finalizing.

*Note:* This is different to documentation. This is essentially the content
marketing for the project.

Since 4.0, there has been more activity around content and this doc is
intended to inform those who want to contribute on the current process
we're using, highlight the goals we want to achieve, and the different
types of content the community is producing on the blog and for external
press sites.

The draft currently covers:
* Content goals
* Content themes
* Who's involved currently
* Content planning process
* Content pipeline overview

At the end, I've included some suggested areas where help may be needed.
Please take a look at the doc and let me know what you think needs
adding/amending etc.
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CASSANDRA/Apache+Cassandra+blog+content+process

--

Chris Thornett
senior content strategist, Constantia.io

Re: [FOR REVIEW] Content Pipeline Process wiki

Posted by Paulo Motta <pa...@gmail.com>.
Fixing the updated link:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CASSANDRA/%28draft%29+Apache+Cassandra+blog+content+process

(haven't reviewed yet)

Posted by Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org>.
> Awesome stuff Chris!

Still in awe, so much good stuff here.

It makes me think if we should have a separate jira issue type for content,
given its different workflow steps. This wouldn't shorten the six day turn
around, but might help our overall throughput of content (without any of it
unnecessarily stagnating).

Re: [FOR REVIEW] Content Pipeline Process wiki

Posted by Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org>.
> * Content pipeline overview

Awesome stuff Chris!

Under the "Pull Request Approval" section there's some inaccuracies, if we
presume staging == cassandra.staged.apache.org.

The content is pushed to staging *after* it is committed to trunk (and is
automatic). The check on staging should not be used as part of the review
process, just a final sanity check before pushing live. Step (2) is (when
needed) a local docker run to do final QA testing before the PR is approved
and committed to trunk.

In exceptional cases a committer can commit the generated content to the
asf-staging branch without committing to trunk. But this would only be when
local rendering is not expected to match cassandra.staged.apache.org (which
shouldn't happen, but e.g. .htaccess)

Also worth noting, with step (2) involving "a local docker run to do final
QA testing" this is waiting on some fixes where local generation isn't
identical to how CI is generating it: CASSANDRA-17374