Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org> on 2003/02/26 18:36:51 UTC

Scratchpad

We still haven't reached consensus on this issue and I think that we
also mixed concerns in the previous threads. I see several issues on the
table:

1) how to allow committers to innovate on core
2) how to allow committers to innovate on non-core stuff
3) how to allow non-committers to innovate

Please, let's try to keep them separate.

issue #3
--------

you earn commit access thru the usual apache meritocratic process: you
show us you are committed to cocoon, you get commit access. This simple
fact rules out the possibility to have any sandbox open to
non-committers inside the space handled by the cocoon PMC.

But this does *NOT* rule out the possibility of having a cocoon sandbox
(wiki-for-code as Jeff brilliantly put it) somewhere else (cocoondev.org
or sourceforge.net).

anyway, this is something totally orthogonal to our scratchpad concept
and it's up to the people that want this to happen.

Personally, I don't care enough to help, there is already enough stuff
to do for core.

issue #1 & #2
-------------

I'm beginning to think that it's pretty accademic to talk about removing
something without trying to clean it up first.

So, I propose to try to cleanup the scratchpad as much as possible and
see what's left, as for Nicola suggestion. Of course, help from the code
authors will be *VERY* appreciated.

At that point, we'll decide whether to keep the scratchpad or not and,
in case, create some policies about it.

Deal?

--
Stefano Mazzocchi                               <st...@apache.org>

Re: Scratchpad

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Thursday 27 February 2003 01:36, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> We still haven't reached consensus on this issue and I think that we
> also mixed concerns in the previous threads. I see several issues on the
> table:
>
> 1) how to allow committers to innovate on core
> 2) how to allow committers to innovate on non-core stuff

NTIARS, but isn't "core" also a bit wider than necessary, and with a better
layer system the "core" would be rather tiny, and everything else is
pluggable, in which case "innovation" can come very naturally.
The "plug-ins" / "add-ons" should perhaps even get their own repositories and
release cycles (SM: A species concept forming.).

The next issues would then be, "What is standard distro?", "How many Add-Ons
are directly supported?", "How is this achieved to the convenience of the
user?"

Niclas

Re: Scratchpad

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote, On 26/02/2003 18.36:

> Deal?

Definately! :-)

+1

BTW, I have been proactive and deleted the wings scratchpad stuff
before...  ahhh, how much I like that word, it fills one's mouth...
proaaaacetive ;-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: Scratchpad

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> We still haven't reached consensus on this issue and I think that we
> also mixed concerns in the previous threads. I see several issues on the
> table:
>
> 1) how to allow committers to innovate on core

Anything in *core* needs community support.  This should not have
a scratchpad IMO.  Why?  The API needs to be clean.  The core is
what you are saying will be supported no matter what.  Therefore
the core needs to reflect what the community is willing to support.

> 2) how to allow committers to innovate on non-core stuff

This is where I think a sandbox/scratchpad would work if the community
wants it.  Blocks are *additions* to cocoon that anyone can use if they
choose to.  By defining how to write blocks and set them up and
incorporate them into your own projects, it makes it easier to maintain
a clean system.

> issue #1 & #2
>
> So, I propose to try to cleanup the scratchpad as much as possible and
> see what's left, as for Nicola suggestion. Of course, help from the code
> authors will be *VERY* appreciated.
>
> At that point, we'll decide whether to keep the scratchpad or not and,
> in case, create some policies about it.
>
> Deal?

Sounds good.