Posted to doc@openoffice.apache.org by Michele Petrovsky <pe...@gmail.com> on 2023/05/09 22:26:20 UTC

Working with Open Office

Hope this finds you all well.

Peter Kovacs suggested I get in touch with you, as a first step in
volunteering with Open Office.

I'm a late bloomer as a techie - bachelor's in history.  Took me another
few years, but eventually got a Master's in Information Science from the
University of Pittsburgh.  Which led to technical writing, which in turn
led to teaching.

All of those caused me to get in touch with Open Office.  I've been retired
for a couple of years now, and miss the classroom and teaching experience a
lot.  I'd be grateful for anything I can do for / with you folks.  As
another part of introducing myself, I'm taking the liberty of attaching
here a sample of my work.  It's a PowerPoint presentation I used in one of
my introductory programming classes.

By all means let me know if there's a chance for us to work together.  And
in any case thanks for the opportunity.

*Michele Petrovsky*

Re: Working with Open Office

Posted by F Campos Costero <fj...@gmail.com>.
Hello Michele,
Thanks for your interest in the documentation team! There is plenty of work
to be done. We have been working on updating the User Guides from the 3.X
version to the 4.1 version. There are six guides and only one, Getting
Started, has been released in a 4.1 version. Each guide has 300 - 400
pages.  Three of us, me, Keith N. McKenna and Dick Groskamp, have been
active over the last couple of years.  We use a Git repository to store and
track the versions and we edit them with Writer.

A few questions:
Are you interested in updating the user guides or were you thinking of some
other kind of contribution? We are happy to get any kind of help.
Have you subscribed to the doc mailing list? If not, the instructions for
subscribing are here: https://www.apache.org/foundation/mailinglists.html
Have you worked with Git? We use it at a very basic level.

I look forward to hearing how you would like to contribute to the
documentation team.
Best regards,
Francis Campos

Re: Working with Open Office

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.
Michele Petrovsky wrote:
> Hope this finds you all well.
>
> Peter Kovacs suggested I get in touch with you, as a first step in
> volunteering with Open Office.
>
> I'm a late bloomer as a techie - bachelor's in history.  Took me another
> few years, but eventually got a Master's in Information Science from the
> University of Pittsburgh.  Which led to technical writing, which in turn
> led to teaching.
>
> All of those caused me to get in touch with Open Office.  I've been
> retired for a couple of years now, and miss the classroom and teaching
> experience a lot.  I'd be grateful for anything I can do for / with you
> folks.  As another part of introducing myself, I'm taking the liberty of
> attaching here a sample of my work.  It's a PowerPoint presentation I
> used in one of my introductory programming classes.
>
> By all means let me know if there's a chance for us to work together.
> And in any case thanks for the opportunity.
>
> /Michele Petrovsky/

Greetings Michele and welcome to Apache OpenOffice;

Your skills as a tech writer would definitely be appreciated on the
documentation team. Currently we are working on a massive upgrade to our
user documentation.

We broadly use the Chicago Manual of Style as our style guide. We also
use Apache OpenOffice®, especially Writer, for most of this work, and
use a GitHub repository for version control, as well as tracking who is
working on what.

Currently the Getting Started Guide is published and the Writer, and
Calc Guides still need to be reviewed.

This mailing list is the primary means of communication for the team so
feel free to ask questions. If you have not worked with an open source
project before, the Level 1 and level 2 links from our Orientation page
will prove helpful. https://openoffice.apache.org/orientation/index.html.

Again welcome to the project, and I look forward to working with you to
make our documentation better.

Regards
Keith N. McKenna