Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com> on 2001/10/20 15:19:36 UTC

Sar unpacking

Mircea,

Is there a way, in xml configuration/assembly to force the unzipping of
a sar entirely (as it used to be)?

I ask because I'm chasing a second bug with deserialization (using
Cornerstone's Store):

     ClassNotFoundException:
org.apache.avalon.jesktop.core.LaunchableTargetHolder

Now the class is there and the code used to worked for months, but now
is not.  The issue is that the Deserialization needs to use the same
classloader that was holding the instance when it was serialed.  We
first encounteed this bug months ago and had to create a special
ObjectInputStream derivative
(org.apache.avalon.excalibur.io.ClassLoaderObjectInputStream) to
overcome the issue.  Now it seems that the JVM refuses to belive that
the same classloader is in use for the shutdown of Jesktop and it's
subsequent reboot.

For the purposes of bug investigation I'd like to plain switch on SAR
inzipping again.  Is this possible using an assembly.xml entry?

Regards,

- Paul H

Re: Sar unpacking

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 20 Oct 2001 23:19, Paul Hammant wrote:
> Now the class is there and the code used to worked for months, but now
> is not.  The issue is that the Deserialization needs to use the same
> classloader that was holding the instance when it was serialed.  We
> first encounteed this bug months ago and had to create a special
> ObjectInputStream derivative
> (org.apache.avalon.excalibur.io.ClassLoaderObjectInputStream) to
> overcome the issue.  Now it seems that the JVM refuses to belive that
> the same classloader is in use for the shutdown of Jesktop and it's
> subsequent reboot.

yikes - that may be because I am forgetting to set a thread local somewhere.
Ping me again if you can not track it down. I should be able to hack for a
bit today or maybe tuesday afternoon ;)

> For the purposes of bug investigation I'd like to plain switch on SAR
> inzipping again.  Is this possible using an assembly.xml entry?

No but I havce implemented my SAR-INF proposal and may add that as a switch.
I just got to check it in and make sure everything is toasty. ;)

--
Cheers,

Pete

Re: Sar unpacking

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Mircea,

>I followed your instuctions to recreate the bug, but everything looks fine!
>No System.out messages or errors in any of the log files! I did restarted a
>few times Phoenix with no problems at all.

Yup me too.  I take it all back, if the problem were ever concrete, then
it has gone now.  Sorry for wasting your time.

Regards,

- Paul H

Re: Sar unpacking

Posted by Mircea Toma <mi...@home.com>.
> >>Is there a way, in xml configuration/assembly to force the unzipping of
> >>a sar entirely (as it used to be)?
> >>

> >No, there isn't!
> >
> >>I ask because I'm chasing a second bug with deserialization (using
> >>Cornerstone's Store):
> >>
> >>     ClassNotFoundException:
> >>org.apache.avalon.jesktop.core.LaunchableTargetHolder
> >>
> >>Now the class is there and the code used to worked for months, but now
> >>is not.  The issue is that the Deserialization needs to use the same
> >>classloader that was holding the instance when it was serialed.  We
> >>first encounteed this bug months ago and had to create a special
> >>ObjectInputStream derivative
> >>(org.apache.avalon.excalibur.io.ClassLoaderObjectInputStream) to
> >>overcome the issue.  Now it seems that the JVM refuses to belive that
> >>the same classloader is in use for the shutdown of Jesktop and it's
> >>subsequent reboot.
> >>

> >Maybe by adding the extracted directories to the classloader codebase
would
> >solve the problem?!
> >
> Hmmm, I don't think that is applicable.  Fede's Store does not use
> extracted directories from teh sar file for its persistence.
>
> >>For the purposes of bug investigation I'd like to plain switch on SAR
> >>inzipping again.  Is this possible using an assembly.xml entry?
> >>

> >We can do that of course but I would prefer to know more about your
problem
> >so we come up with a good consistent solution!
> >
> OK, it looks like you're volunteering to see the bug in action ;-)
>
> 1) (cornerstone)  build jesktop main
> 2) (cornerstone)  build jesktop install
> 3) phoenix/dist/bin .... run.bat
> 4) When Frame comes up, Ctrl-C (or choose Start->Shutdown)
> 3) phoenix/dist/bin .... run.bat ... exception is apparent in Sys.out

Hi Paul,

I followed your instuctions to recreate the bug, but everything looks fine!
No System.out messages or errors in any of the log files! I did restarted a
few times Phoenix with no problems at all.

mircea

Re: Sar unpacking

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Mircea,