Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by rkull <ri...@gmail.com> on 2007/11/29 02:05:28 UTC

[orchestra] Conversation issues with master-detail

I am trying to create a master-detail screen scenario and am following the
best-practices guide in the wiki (the simple CRUD cycle -
http://wiki.apache.org/myfaces/A_simple_Crud_Cycle) and it does not actually
work.  Am I doing something wrong?  Here is what I have:

MasterView has a BO which it uses to fetch a list of all target objects
(just like in the example).

DetailView is in its own detail related flash conversation (as mentioned in
the bottom of the example), and has a reference to the BO as well.
(manual/flash makes no difference whatsoever)

When I do a save on the DetailView, if I call refreshList on the MasterView
after saving using the DetailView "instance" of the BO, the list does NOT
contain my changes.  I understand why this is happening.  The BO in the
MasterView has its own entity manager as it is in a different conversation
than the DetailView.  It does not help to do
Conversation.getCurrentInstance().invalidate() in the DetailView before
doing a list refresh on the master view as there is still nothing to force
the entity manager in the MasterView to dump its cached objects.

The example is quite unclear on many details and was wondering if I am doing
something wrong here.  I have found several ways to make it work as
expected, but they are NOT like the example, and are a bit more difficult to
figure out as to what is going on without documentation.

My test is extremely simple and is NOT working as advertised!

Can anyone help?

Re: [orchestra] Conversation issues with master-detail

Posted by rkull <ri...@gmail.com>.
Thanks.  I did figure out some of these approaches, but was wondering if I
was missing something as none
of them match the example!  Of course, the proposed solutions that involve
sharing the conversation between master and detail or invalidating the
master from the detail mean that calling refreshMaster (as in the example)
is pointless as it will have to redo that anyway when rebuilding the
conversation.  It just made me wonder under what conditions
(conversation-wise) the example actually works, because I could not figure
one out that handled both "save" and "cancel" properly!

I did come up with one more solution that might be considered a bit
dangerous.  When the master view needs its object list, it goes to the
detail view to get it (detail in its own flash conversation).  This way
there is only one entity manager involved (the detail view version), but the
master and detail conversations are always both running (the detail just
comes and goes more often).  The danger is you have to make sure you never
actually do anything transactional in the master with the objects using the
BO in the master view conversation as the objects "belong" to the entity
manager in the detail.

Thanks again for your input.  At least I know I'm on the right track.

Rick

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Hi!