Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by John Suter <jo...@sbcglobal.net> on 2015/12/30 05:15:31 UTC

After a system restart, am unable to open a text file previously backed up

I need help in recovering a text file, a book, I have been writing and saving every 15 minutes or so.

My laptop running Windows 10 version 1511, IE 11.20.10586.0 and using Apache Open Office  4.1.2 had a abrupt browser blank-out.  Before restarting my system to clear the problem, I saved the Open Office file.  After restarting my system, Open Office didn’t have any files I have been working on in the platform que.  I went to “documents” and opened the file I was wanting to return to and it said it was restricted and could only be seen in a read-only mode.  However, when I said I wanted to see a copy, all that was displayed were screens of “X”s.  Can you advise me how to recover?

Thanks,   John

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Re: After a system restart, am unable to open a text file previously backed up

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 09:31 30/12/2015 +0000, Rory O'Farrell wrote:
>My reply to this user bounced.
>
>>The following message to <jo...@sbcglobal.net> was undeliverable.
>>The reason for the problem:
>>5.1.0 - Unknown address error 553-'5.3.0 nlpi184 DNSBL:ATTRBL 521<
>>213.233.128.43
>>_is_blocked.__For_information_see_http://att.net/blocks'

In other words, AT&T currently believes that 213.233.128.43 (=
mail1.vodafone.ie - presumably your outgoing mail server) "has been
identified as a source of spam".

Sorbs.net says:
>Problem Entries, (listings will cause email problems.)
>10 "Spam" entries [10:18:31 15 Feb 2015 GMT+00].
>2 "Virus" entries [02:31:07 17 Oct 2014 GMT+00].

Brian Barker

Re: After a system restart, am unable to open a text file previously backed up

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 10:05 30/12/2015 +0000, Rory O'Farrell wrote:
>... I know my computer(s) don't transmit any spam.

Oh, indeed.

>As I said before in another posting, are US ISPs common carriers or not?

Don't know: sorry, I'm no expert.

>They have no business interfering with legitimate emails. I'm going
>to make a complaint to the FCC in USA.

Rejecting mail from private servers used only or mainly for
distributing undesirable material makes sense. Rejecting mail from a
mail provider on the grounds that one of its users - or probably even
someone improperly using an account - has sent undesirable material
via its servers perhaps makes less sense.

Brian Barker

Re: After a system restart, am unable to open a text file previously backed up

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Wed, 30 Dec 2015 09:57:51 +0000
Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com> wrote:

> At 09:31 30/12/2015 +0000, Rory O'Farrell wrote:
> >My reply to this user bounced.
> >
> >>The following message to <jo...@sbcglobal.net> was undeliverable.
> >>The reason for the problem:
> >>5.1.0 - Unknown address error 553-'5.3.0 nlpi184 DNSBL:ATTRBL 521<
> >>213.233.128.43
> >>_is_blocked.__For_information_see_http://att.net/blocks'
>
> In other words, AT&T currently believes that 213.233.128.43 (=
> mail1.vodafone.ie - presumably your outgoing mail server) "has been
> identified as a source of spam".
>
> Sorbs.net says:
> >Problem Entries, (listings will cause email problems.)
> >10 "Spam" entries [10:18:31 15 Feb 2015 GMT+00].
> >2 "Virus" entries [02:31:07 17 Oct 2014 GMT+00].
>
> Brian Barker

Thanks for the explanation, Brian. I'm at the stage where I don't bother to follow these things up - I know my computer(s) don't transmit any spam.  As I said before in another posting, are US ISPs common carriers or not?  They have no business interfering with legitimate emails.  I'm going to make a complaint to the FCC in USA.

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: After a system restart, am unable to open a text file previously backed up

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Wed, 30 Dec 2015 11:37:47 -0500
"Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Rory and John;
>
> I am forwarding this reply from Rory to John in hopes that it will get
> through as Rory was having trouble reaching John's e-mail address.
>
> Regards
> Keith

Thanks, Keith.

Rory

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.
Here is John's reply to Rory's advice. He sent it top my e-mail instead
of to the list so please excuse the mess of top and bottom posting and
threading issues. I will reply privately to John and explain that he
should reply only to the list and not anyone's e-mail address.

Regards
Keith

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.
Rory and John;