Posted to user@knox.apache.org by larry mccay <lm...@apache.org> on 2017/09/18 14:38:18 UTC

[DISCUSS] Drop support for Java 7 in Apache Knox 0.14.0/1.0.0

All -

We have been supporting Java 7 long past it's EOL which was in 2015 in
order to be compatible with deployments that are conservative in upgrading
to Java 8.

I feel that at this point anyone that has not upgraded is not sufficiently
concerned about the security implications and that this is no longer being
conservative. :)

In addition, a number of components within the hadoop ecosystem have
already dropped Java 7 support. The popularity of these particular
components more or less means that Java 8 will likely be in place anyway.

This will also enable us to upgrade to the pac4j 2.x releases which have
features that we would benefit from.

If anyone has any concerns about this - please feel free to raise a flag.

thanks,

--larry

Re: [DISCUSS] Drop support for Java 7 in Apache Knox 0.14.0/1.0.0

Posted by Sandeep More <mo...@gmail.com>.
Yup, you are right. I will open a JIRA for it.

Posted by Sandeep More <mo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Philip Zampino <pz...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Philip Zampino <pz...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sandeep More <mo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Krishna Pandey <kr...@gmail.com>.
+1. We definitely need *Improved Security* which are part of newer releases
of Java. (https://www.java.com/en/download/faq/why_upgrade.xml)

Regards,
Krishna Pandey

Posted by Colm O hEigeartaigh <co...@apache.org>.
+1.

--
Colm O hEigeartaigh

Talend Community Coder
http://coders.talend.com

Re: [DISCUSS] Drop support for Java 7 in Apache Knox 0.14.0/1.0.0

Posted by Mohammad Islam <mi...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Sandeep More <mo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mohammad Islam <mi...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Sandeep More <mo...@gmail.com>.