Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Kenneth McDonald <ke...@sbcglobal.net> on 2007/08/07 21:51:19 UTC

How fast is Batik when rendering DOM changes?

I suspect this mostly boils down to, does Batik do a complete re-render
every time the SVG DOM changes? Or is it able to perform only
'differential' rendering, and if so, how clever is it about restricting
the amount of re-rendering needed?

Thanks,
Ken

Re: How fast is Batik when rendering DOM changes?

Posted by th...@kodak.com.
Hi Kenneth,

Kenneth McDonald <ke...@sbcglobal.net> wrote on 08/07/2007
03:51:19 PM:

> I suspect this mostly boils down to, does Batik do a complete re-render
> every time the SVG DOM changes?

   This depends on the DOM changes, but by and large Batik does
incremental rendering.

>  Or is it able to perform only 'differential' rendering, and if
> so, how clever is it about restricting the amount of re-rendering
needed?

   It is good but not perfect.  Like most graphics engines I'm aware
of there are some places where we fail to notice that things haven't
really changed, or where we 'widen' the area that needs rendering.

   For the majority of common changes we handle them well.