Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by HIRATA Tadashi <he...@mb.infoweb.ne.jp> on 2002/10/02 04:42:15 UTC

Backward Compatibility of FileAppender#setFile(String,boolean)

Hi,

I have a trivial question about the backward compatibility
from 1.1.3 to 1.2.x.

Documents says 1.2.x is fully compatible with 1.1.3 except
for deprecated methods and subclasses of Category class.
But File#setFile(String, boolean) method was removed from
1.2.x and the programs which use this method must be fixed
by dividing them into setFile(String) and setAppend(boolean)
(1.2.x JavaDoc says you should use these method instead of
calling setFile(String, boolean, boolean, int), but 1.1.3
JavaDoc didn't).

If you say it's compatible, should we provide
setFile(String, boolean), at least as a deprecated method?

Regards.
-----
HIRATA Tadashi
heita@mb.infoweb.ne.jp