Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Chris K Chew <ch...@fenetics.com> on 2002/11/12 18:55:26 UTC

OUTLINE: Developer's Guide

CKC -- I am really taking a stab in the dark here...

*How To Build Turbine From Source

*How To Submit Bugs

*How To Request Features

*Source Xreference

*How To Submit Patches

*ToDo List

*Contributors

RE: OUTLINE: Developer's Guide

Posted by Chris K Chew <ch...@fenetics.com>.
Yeah, a twiki sounds like a good idea to me.  I will be happy to put into
the twiki what has been done so far.

Chris

Posted by Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au>.
> From: "Chris K Chew" <ch...@fenetics.com>
>
>> Scott:
>> Much of what you are suggesting in this post is already covered by the
>> documentation that is produced by maven.
>
> Scott, do you think we should create the Developer's Guide as a "catch-all"
> to steer people towards the documents you mentioned, or forego the Dev-Guide
> and hope potential developers are clever enough to find them on their own?
>
> Personally, I think we should expect them to figure out how turbine works
> simply from the source code and build system.
I think you meant to say: "I do not think..."  ;-)

One of the goals of maven is to put all of this stuff in a standard place
for all projects (obviously this means "all projects that use maven").  This
reduces the amount of hand holding required.

Seriously, a twiki is the way to go.  Everyone (including non-committers)
can have write access.  Everyone can review/edit/reformat/reorganise the
postings made by others.

I have no problem with a developers guide that provides some hand holding by
including links to the relevant information.  What I do object to is the
same information being repeated in multiple places - this is just asking for
trouble.

Cheers,

Scott

Posted by Chris K Chew <ch...@fenetics.com>.

Posted by Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au>.
> From: "Chris K Chew" <ch...@fenetics.com>

Much of what you are suggesting in this post is already covered by the
documentation that is produced by maven.

> *How To Build Turbine From Source
Turbine uses maven and thus the build process has been standardised across
all turbine projects.  A specific document for turbine-2 does not currently
exist, but we could easily create something based on the Torque document:
http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/torque/developer-guide.html

http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/turbine-2/project-info.html

http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/turbine-2/xref/index.html

> *How To Submit Patches
http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/turbine-2/project-info.html

> *ToDo List
This is an existing document that can be patched like any other:
http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/turbine-2/todo.html
IMHO it would be best if all items on the ToDo list had Scarab issue
identifiers associated with them (i.e. what needs to be done is recorded in
Scarab but selected items of significance are echoed on the ToDo list).

> *Contributors
http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/turbine-2/team-list.html

See also:
http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/common/documentation.html

I have also noticed that the "Development Process" links under "Project
Documentation" are currently broken.  I will look into this.

Cheers,

Scott

Posted by Chris K Chew <ch...@fenetics.com>.
> -Mitch:
> Where will the Turbine/Torque/Fulcrum relationship be addressed?  This is
> still the vaguest area of Turbine for me.
>
> What about the definition of the Turbine security model.  For
> instance, what
> roles are 'required' to login.  How do you extend TurbineUser?  Is a group
> required (i.e. 'global' group)?  Can I update the Turbine schema directly
> (i.e w/o going through flux)?  What is flux?  What's the
> difference between,
> internal/extern flux?

The guides should address everything we feel that it should, simply request
that it be in the Outline (and you will probably be asked to write it...;).
In the User's Guide outline, I had "Extending Turbine Security".  How about
something like this instead:

<snip>
*Turbine Security
	*Security Model Explained
		*Group
		*Role
		*Permission
		*User
	*TurbineSecurity.java
	*Extending TurbineSecurity
		*Extending TurbineUser
		*Henning's Security Proposal
		*Implementing A Custom-Job
		CKC: Others?
	*Flux
		*Internal/External Flux
		CKC: What should be in here?
</snip>

Note that I have never used flux, and do not know what should go in the
section.  Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Chris

RE: OUTLINE: Developer's Guide