Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Johnie Ingram <jo...@netgod.net> on 1998/06/16 17:39:05 UTC

Re: Drifting install conventions

"Ben" == Ben Hyde <bh...@gensym.com> writes:

Ben> everybody was just following one standard or another.  Just too
Ben> many standards to follow - eh?

There is a third standard, "FHS-compliant package", which is what
Debian's apache has always been modified to conform to:

     /usr/sbin/apache
     /usr/lib/cgi-bin/
     /usr/lib/apache/1.3/ (all modules are DSO)
     /usr/share/apache/icons/
     /etc/apache/httpd.conf, access.conf, srm.conf
     /var/log/apache/access.log, error.log, rewrite.log
     /var/cache/apache/ (for proxy, if used)
     /var/www

Ben> Makes the documentation a confusing...

It may makes actually using Apache less confusing though, if its
conforming to subconscious expectations.  Maybe the docs won't have to
be looked at.  :-)

---------------------  PGP  E4 70 6E 59 80 6A F5 78  63 32 BC FB 7A 08 53 4C

   __ _    Debian GNU         Johnie Ingram <jo...@netgod.net>      mm   mm
  / /(_)_ __  _   ___  __        "netgod"     irc.debian.org          mm mm
/ /__| | | | | |_| |>  <      Yes, I'm Linus, and I am your God.     mm   mm
\____/_|_| |_|\__,_/_/\_\       -- Linus, keynote address, Expo 98   GO BLUE