Posted to dev@airavata.apache.org by Mayank Jaglan <mj...@umail.iu.edu> on 2017/05/06 18:43:48 UTC

[#Spring17-Airavata-Courses]: [Debugging applications with Docker Containers] Setting up an automated production like local development environment (part-4)

Hello Dev.

In previous email thread (part-2), I explored proper tool for IDE Integration of Docker and Vagrant.

For automated local development and testing, one of the approach I am considering here is to "Dockerizing Airavata Microservices". And for Docker integration with IDE, I am continuing the use of Eclipse Docker Tooling (and Jetbrains Docker Integration Plugin) .

For debugging deployed code base in Docker Container following approaches are considered -
- Logging via the Application, Example Log4J framework
- Logging via Data Volumes, i.e., shared folders
- Logging via the Docker Logging Driver, i.e., json-file Docker logging driver
- Logging via a Dedicated Logging Container (one centralized microservice)
- Sidecar Approach, i.e., each container is linked with its own logging container

This work is posted on my blog - https://mjaglan.github.io/docs/devops-for-airavata.html
Under the Topic: Dockerizing Airavata Microservices

I am looking for some discussion on what could be the better approaches for local debugging of deployed Docker containers considering the scope of Airavata setup.

Best,
Mayank