Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Ed Borkmann <bo...@nlm.nih.gov> on 2002/07/25 23:14:48 UTC

tomcat in 64-bit mode

Tomcat4.0 ran fine until we started running it with the 64 bit option
-d64

We are using Solaris 2.8  on a Sun-Fire-280R.

Now Tomcat will crash every few hours.  Does anybody know of a reason why this
would happen?  The logs really don't give any clues.
Thanks.

Ed

Re: mod_jk.so and jk_jnicb.so built, but WILL NOT load

Posted by Henri Gomez <hg...@apache.org>.
Quoting Dev Zero G Ltd <ma...@devzerog.com>:

> We found out that on FreeBSD Apache with pthread support is unstable:
>
> [from dev@httpd.apache.org]
> Jeff Trawick wrote:
>  > Apache 2.0 and APR won't normally link to thread libraries on FreeBSD
>  > because (apparently) some problems in the thread libraries on that
>  > platform prevent Apache from working reliably.  I suspect that
>  > mod_jk.so can't find the pthread calls because Apache was not linked
>  > with -lpthread.

FreeBSD is the main OS in apache.org, did the newer 4.6 release fixed the
problems on pthread ?

Did the FreeBSD JVM (may be from Linux), use native or green threads ?

The problem is that mod_jk2 need thread support for JNI and so required pthread.
And if pthread under FreeBSD prevent its use under Apache2.0/APR, it may be also
a problem when linking mod_jk2 with pthread ?

>  > Can you build mod_jk in a way that doesn't reference the pthread
>  > calls?  Does it have some configuration mechanism to tell it that it
>  > doesn't need to be multi-thread capable?  I can't see how the pthread
>  > calls are useful on FreeBSD since Apache won't work there using
>  > a threaded model.
>
> Should we try compiling Apache with -lpthread anyway or shall we try
> removing pthread support from the connectors?

A quick hack could be to apply to mod_jk2 the same patch than mod_jk 1.2.0, ie
change #ifdef APR by #if APR_HAS_THREADS. I'll commit ASAP...

Re: mod_jk.so and jk_jnicb.so built, but WILL NOT load

Posted by Dev Zero G Ltd <ma...@devzerog.com>.
Henri Gomez wrote:
> Quoting Dev Zero G Ltd <ma...@devzerog.com>:
>

>>Hello and thanks for reading.
>>
>>We have managed to build mod_jk.so and jk_jnicb.so ok, but neither
>>Apache nor Tomcat will successfully use these modules:
>>
>>when launching apache, we get:
>>
>># /usr/local/apache2/bin/apachectl -k start
>>Syntax error on line 1043 of /usr/local/apache2/conf/httpd.conf:
>>Cannot load /usr/local/apache2/modules/mod_jk.so into server:
>>/usr/local/apache2/modules/mod_jk.so: Undefined symbol
>>"pthread_mutex_unlock"
>>
>>when launching tomcat, we get:
>>
>>Jul 26, 2002 8:21:15 AM org.apache.jk.server.JkMain init
>>INFO: Starting Jk2, base dir= /usr/local/tomcat4.0.4_1.4.0
>>conf=/usr/local/tomca
>>t4.0.4_1.4.0/conf/jk2.properties
>>Jul 26, 2002 8:21:15 AM org.apache.jk.server.JkMain start
>>INFO: APR not loaded, disabling jni components: java.io.IOException:
>>/usr/local/
>>tomcat4.0.4_1.4.0/lib/jk_jnicb.so:
>>/usr/local/tomcat4.0.4_1.4.0/lib/jk_jnicb.so:
>>ELF file OS ABI invalid.
>
> Bad linker format, how did you get it ?

This is what we get after the connectors are built and deployed.. What
could we be doing wrong? Versions? Wrong build script for FreeBSD?

Jeff Trawick wrote:
 > Apache 2.0 and APR won't normally link to thread libraries on FreeBSD
 > because (apparently) some problems in the thread libraries on that
 > platform prevent Apache from working reliably.  I suspect that
 > mod_jk.so can't find the pthread calls because Apache was not linked
 > with -lpthread.
 >
 > Can you build mod_jk in a way that doesn't reference the pthread
 > calls?  Does it have some configuration mechanism to tell it that it
 > doesn't need to be multi-thread capable?  I can't see how the pthread
 > calls are useful on FreeBSD since Apache won't work there using
 > a threaded model.

Should we try compiling Apache with -lpthread anyway or shall we try
removing pthread support from the connectors?

Any suggestions?

Re: mod_jk.so and jk_jnicb.so built, but WILL NOT load

Posted by Henri Gomez <hg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dev Zero G Ltd <ma...@devzerog.com>.
[...]

Thanks very much in advance for nay advice!