Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Knutsen Jeffrey S <Kn...@JohnDeere.com> on 2002/06/07 19:44:37 UTC

Number of Tomcat Instances/Applications

I am doing some Tomcat cost/benefit projections for my company.  I need to
determine the maximum number of applications that will run on Tomcat and
still provide stable performance.  I am not interested in a theoretical
number at this time, just seeking information about what real developers are
actually doing with real applications.

At this time, I am not interested in what machine types, OSs,
configurations, versions, are being used.  I understand the answer to my
questions will depend heavily on these issues as well as on the applications
themselves.  I just need to come up with a realistic number of
instances/apps which are being run on a single machine by real users. I am
seeking an answer to the following two questions:

Maximum number of Tomcat instances running on one machine:

Maximum number of individual applications running in all instances of Tomcat
on one machine:

Please feel free to respond to the mail list, or to me directly at
knutsenjeffreys@johndeere.com (if we don't want to clog the list with
answers to this question).  I will post a final resolution message to the
mail list when I have come to some sort of conclusion.

Thanks in advance for your help!