Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by Alexander Murmann <am...@vmware.com> on 2021/04/09 00:46:54 UTC

[DISCUSS] Monthly, synchronous community meetings

Hi everyone,

On occasion we see discussions on PRs, here on the mailing list that might be move much quicker if we chatted synchronously about some of these topics and then shared the meetings notes back to the mailing list. Of course, our usual processes for voting and additional discussions would still need to be just as accessible as they are right now on the mailing list to anyone who cannot attend a meeting. However, it might allow us to move these discussions along faster and also create a stronger sense of community.

I've seen similar things done in Kubernetes Special Interest Groups (example<https://github.com/kubernetes/community/blob/master/sig-node/README.md>)

Meeting Specifics
Frequency: monthly
Time: It seems like most of our community is distributed between Europe and the US. 3pm/15:00 UTC (11amEDT/8amPST/17:00 CEST) seems like a good compromise.
How: We'd have a Confluence page to gather topics ahead of time. Topics should be added with as much lead time as possible, to allow interested community members to plan attendance. We'd use the same page to take meeting notes.
Topic examples: RFC discussions, process proposals (like the recent codeowner introduction), show & tells of recent changes, controversial PRs, the sky is the limit till we find certain topics are better in a dedicated meeting.

As with everything, I'd expect us to iterate and evolve this

Does this sound valuable to everyone? How could this be better?

Re: [DISCUSS] Monthly, synchronous community meetings

Posted by Alexander Murmann <am...@vmware.com>.
Hi everyone!

Just a quick reminder that we have our first Apache Community Meeting a week from tomorrow, Wednesday May 5th. Please find all details in our wiki<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/GEODE/Apache+Geode+Community+Meeting+Notes>.

As of right now, we don't have any topics on the agenda. Please feel free to add anything you'd like to discuss or share with others in the community. Hearing other's ideas on your RFCs, questions or concerns about our process, short show & tells are all examples of topics to consider. We are doing this for the first time and will have to figure out what topics work well for this format, and which don't. The best way to do that is to just try and learn together in public.

Looking forward to seeing you all!

Posted by Dan Smith <da...@vmware.com>.