Posted to users@servicemix.apache.org by boday <bo...@vektrel.com> on 2009/07/27 04:48:03 UTC

AMQ benchmarks using dataset

I'm trying to benchmark my SMX installation to see how many messages/second
ActiveMQ can handle.  I'm not seeing very good numbers compared to other
throughput estimates I've read about.  Can someone confirm that these
numbers are reasonable?  If there are config settings that need to be
changed to achieve more reasonable throughput, please elaborate on those.

environment...

SMX 3.3.1/Camel 1.6.1 (out of the box config)
running on a laptop with WinXP, 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM

here is my route...

	    <route>
	      <from uri="dataset:myDataSet?produceDelay=-1"/>
	      <to uri="activemq:test.queue"/>
	    </route>
	    <route>
	      <from uri="activemq:test.queue"/>
	      <to uri="dataset:myDataSet"/>
	    </route>

	<bean id="myDataSet"
class="org.apache.camel.component.dataset.SimpleDataSet">
	  <property name="size" value="10000"/>
	  <property name="reportCount" value="1000"/>
	</bean>

using the following broker config...

    <amqpool:pool id="jmsConnectionFactory"
xmlns:amqpool="http://jencks.org/amqpool/2.0"
                  brokerURL="vm://localhost"
                  maxConnections="8"/>

    <bean id="activemq"
class="org.apache.activemq.camel.component.ActiveMQComponent">
        <property name="connectionFactory" ref="jmsConnectionFactory"/>
    </bean>

results...

persistent = 245 msg/sec
non-persistent =  236 msg/sec (using
brokerURL="vm://localhost?broker.persistent=false")

Clearly the non-persistent mode isn't working correctly (what else do I need
to set?).  Either way,
I would think that the non-persistent throughput would be several thousand
per second and the persistent would be 1/3 of that or so.  Anyone have other
numbers I can compare against?

thanks...

-----
Ben - Senior Consultant