Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Matt Raible <mr...@gmail.com> on 2006/11/14 19:55:55 UTC

Re: [appfuse-dev] War plugin overlays: New plugin to handle transitive dependencies

Just some thoughts on enhancements:

It'd be nice if we could 1) get this into the war plugin and 2) add 3
different modes:

1. Default - the way things are now, where dependencies aren't
inherited.  This would allow backwards compatibility and not suprise
anyone.

2. Include Dependencies - excludes everything from WEB-INF/lib and
includes all dependencies - making them available to all plugins as
well (i.e. esp. IDEA, Eclipse and NetBeans).

3. Merge - has a way of allowing web.xml and other configuration files
to be merged.  Of course, it'd need certain include and exclude
patterns.

With #3, it may be possible to produce some sort of wars-as-plugins
features where you could develop a small set of functionality and
"merge" it into a larger application.  This seems like a pretty simple
way to do plugins. Of course, you'd probably have to create a pretty
fancy XML parser/merger/munger.

Thoughts?  What are the chances of getting this plugin included in the
war plugin?

Matt

--
http://raibledesigns.com

Re: War plugin overlays: New plugin to handle transitive dependencies

Posted by BenTatham <be...@nanometrics.ca>.
We are currently switching over to Maven from Ant, so I hope my comments are
too newbie-ish.

I like these ideas...especially #3.  We have a hiearchy of libraries that
are actually wars because we need to do jspc in order to test things
completely.  Also, we had been using xdoclet directly on the source code to
generate the servlet mappings prior to using Maven, but now we don't have
the source in each depending library/project, so we can't do that.  So we
need a solution to merge web.xml.  I know xdoclet can insert
servlet-mappings into an existing web.xml, so really, that is all a web.xml
merger would have to do too.  It would not have to be a fully text xml
merger, just the relevant components, and you could configure which
components of the web.xml you want to be merged and which you don't.

Anyway, for now, does anyone have any ideas on how to merge the web.xml's?

I have a couple of ideas, but neither make me very happy...
1) Make a copy of the web.xml that is dependency specific in the dependent
project, and then do the merge myself once the overlay is done.  This leaves
an extra file in the war of the library though, which is messy.
2) Depend on the sources of my libraries so I can run xdoclet again over the
whole webapp.

-Ben

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
ad your point 2)
For what i've experienced, the dependencies of a WAR
may only be derived if the actual project itself is of
type WAR too.

As opposite, the dependencies from a WAR imho must not
be derived if the actual project is e.g. of type EAR.

Do we need any further distinction?

lg,
strub