Posted to soap-user@xml.apache.org by Olivier Thomas <ol...@wanadoo.fr> on 2001/02/02 19:13:45 UTC

RE: SOAP between MS Soap 2.0 and tomcat/soap

Hi,

Did you manage to get you MS SOAP 2.0 low-level API client run with Apache
SOAP server using SSL ?
I've been completely stuck with that for several days and Microsoft says
it's possible.
The trick is that my Apache SOAP server is its own certificate authoriy (I
use Apache mod_ssl). When I use it with Java clients I need to export the ca
certificate to a security file of the java tree. How about woth MS Clients ?
Aniway I don't go so far as the error I have comes earlier: "You're trying
to make a plain HTTP request to an SSL port". Of course my server works with
IE 5.0 using https.

Thanks four your help,
Olivier.

Posted by George I Matkovits <ma...@uswest.net>.
Please try it with a legitimate server (not test) certificate. It will 'probably'
work. The 'major' certificate issuers are in IE's, Netscape's, in Java Client's
and IMHO even a VB client's (NOT?) client side certificate repository. There are
(vendor dependent) tools for saving a server's test certificate into a client's
repository. This is the 'Keytool' for Java, there must be one for 'native' Windows
also (Please let us know what it is when MS gives it out). On the client side you
must use an SSL (not just socket) aware dll library. This is in JSSE for Java,
where is it in VB? Even just making an SSL socket connection (eventually) will not
be enough, because 'session' management in Java (or VB?) needs an URL connection
to the server (The client must be able to manage session 'cookies' or URL
redirects correctly.) There must be an equivalent SSL URL connection dll library
in VB also. I am (almost) sure that MS must have one since it exists for IE! IMHO
the current Apache SSL client will never be able to do state management even with
its own Soap Servlet Server because just an SSL socket connection does not provide
the cookie environment required by the client's state management libraries. These
kind of 'compatibility' issues have been very carefully implemented by JSEE's Sun
team and then completely IGNORED by our XML focused Savants. There have been many
discussions here on adding 'true state management to Apache-Soap' but the URL
connection provided capability has been chucked out, IMHO because it comes from
SUN. Civil wars are lethal :-). MS compatibility is great but Java2 and SUN
JVM1.3  compatibility would be even better!!!!
Regards - George
p.s. The 'correct'  SSL VB client might even work better then the currently 'SSL
brain damaged'  xml-soap Java one. Just knowing XML does not ship a WORKING and
SECURE (SSL is not enough) system. Are you really confused now? Please do not
worry, so are almost all the SSL implementers who ignored most of the SUN SSL
library and read almost none of its documentation. Fortunately this is an Apache
Project and we will (eventually, with a few kicks from SUN, and even MS) sort it
out.

Posted by George I Matkovits <ma...@uswest.net>.

Posted by Khondker Akhter <Kh...@msdw.com>.
did get to the ssl stuff yet...

Posted by Khondker Akhter <Kh...@msdw.com>.
did get to the ssl stuff yet...

Re: Getting apache soap 2.0 setup

Posted by Florin Moldovan <fl...@art-net.ro>.
Hi Scott,

I have the same problem.
If you find any solution for this please send it to me.
If I find a solution I will e-mail you.

Thank you in advance,
Florin

Re: SOAP and Attachments

Posted by Stephan Wiesner <wi...@werum.de>.
I read the PDF in, transfer it with Base64 and post it as a String.
The client decodes the Bas64 stuff and writes it to a file. Works somewhat
slow compared to Perl, but with Server and Client
on my P350 it takes about 2 seconds (100k PDF), so it is acceptable.

Stephan

Re: SOAP and Attachments

SOAP and...

Posted by Gus Delgado <gu...@netquotient.com>.
attachments, is this even possible to send a SOAP envelope with a PDF
attachment?

Gus

SOAP and...

Posted by Gus Delgado <gu...@netquotient.com>.