Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Neeraj Bajaj <Ne...@Sun.COM> on 2002/05/17 00:15:02 UTC

BasicParserCofiguration recognizes "validation" feature

BasicParserConfiguration recognizes "validation" feature, IMO it should not
recognize "validation" feature as this class is supposed to be reusable as much
as possible, and different applications are encouraged to write their custom
configuration using it as base class. There are quite number of applications
running which dont require validation. Xerces2 also have
"NonValidatingConfiguration" for any application willing to use Xerces2 in
non-validating mode.
	In Xerces2, all the configurations extend BasicParserConfiguration, as a
result this feature is also recognized by each configuration including
"NonValidatingConfiguration" which should not be the case, as this configuration
is not capable of validating the instance document against grammar.
	The "validation" feature should be recognized by "DTDConfiguration", so
it also will be recognized by "StandardParserConfiguration" as it extends above.

Comments ??

Neeraj

Re: BasicParserCofiguration recognizes "validation" feature

Posted by Andy Clark <an...@apache.org>.
Neeraj Bajaj wrote:
> BasicParserConfiguration recognizes "validation" feature, IMO it should not
> recognize "validation" feature as this class is supposed to be reusable as much
> as possible, and different applications are encouraged to write their custom

Recognizing the value and using it are different things.
And I think most applications assume that "validation" and
"namespaces" will always be accepted. So removing this
default from the base parser configuration could lead to
problems with lots of apps that make the above assumption.

--
Andy Clark * andyc@apache.org