Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by "Robert A. Decker" <rd...@pgp.com> on 2007/09/24 03:47:38 UTC

basic dev question

I'm just starting out in Tapestry (WO developer since 3.51) Does
everyone automatically create a .properties file for their pages/
components and put their validation, messages, etc in there? Or is it
more selective?

The tutorial gave some great examples of using the properties file
for validation, messages, etc, but then looking at some of the other
examples it looks like the validation is usually put right into the
html... (for example, here: http://tapestry.apache.org/tapestry5/
tapestry-core/guide/validation.html)

Re: basic dev question

Posted by Nick Westgate <ni...@key-planning.co.jp>.
Obviously it depends on whether you will ever need to do l10n.
The validation examples don't do it to keep the code shorter.

Otherwise of course it makes sense every string is localizable.
Whether you do it globally or per page/component is up to you.

Cheers,
Nick.

Re: basic dev question

Posted by Chris Lewis <ch...@bellsouth.net>.
For the record, I use a global .properties file to contain all common
application strings. I avoid page/component properties files because I
feel they cause too much scatter. The exception being if a component (or
collection of them) merits its own library, then I'll make an exception.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't declare components in properties
files, only templates or page classes (or other components) - right?

Re: basic dev question

Posted by Christian Gruber <ch...@gmail.com>.
Because the model classes (non T5 components/pages/mixins) are not
auto-reloaded when changed, validation put into business objects with
attributes will require a restart of the server when altered.  Many
people put them into .properties files so that they can benefit from
the rapid reloading of the components without a restart.

regards,
Christian