Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Jakob Homan <jg...@apache.org> on 2012/01/13 23:56:14 UTC

Q: including notice for binary release of artifacts that are brought in via Maven?

As part of Kafka's release process, it was stated that binaries
brought in via a tool like Maven as part of building a binary release
(but that are not included as part of a source release) need to be
included in the NOTICE and LICENSE file as appropriate.  Kafka chose
to release just a source release, but in Giraph we're planning on
including a binary artifact as well.  What are the mechanics for
having two NOTICE/LICENSE files for one release?  A NOTICE-BINARY and
LICENSE-BINARY? I'd rather not update each file each time an RC is
rolled, since then those changes won't be in subversion.  Creating a
whole separate branch for just these artifacts? Just adding them to
the NOTICE and LICENSE files will likely get us dinged that those
files would no longer be minimal.

Thanks,
Jakob

Re: Q: including notice for binary release of artifacts that are brought in via Maven?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 31 January 2012 18:15, Jakob Homan <jg...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Instead, since you are including dep1 and dep2 inside
>>giraph-bin.tar.gz, they should be covered by the NOTICE/LICENSE pair
>> of the tarball.
> This is the case for Giraph (and Kafka and other projects that bring
> in transitive dependencies into the tar.gz via maven), so the
> jackrabbit approach won't work.  Which puts me back at my original
> question: how to include N&L for the binary distribution without
> having to re-create it on the release branch each time.  I'll take a
> look at Whisker, but for now it seems like one just needs to have a
> release-specific N&L for the binary artifact?

Just include the binary N&L files somewhere other than the top level
in SVN, and copy them to the top-level in the binary artifacts.
Perhaps use names like NOTICE_binary/LICENSE_binary to make it obvious.

Posted by Jakob Homan <jg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Jakob Homan <jg...@gmail.com>.
Jukka-
  Great, thanks.  Using this method, I get a file layout similar to:
  giraph-0.1-SNAPSHOT-bin.tar.gz
      NOTICE (without appended text for dep1 and dep2)
      LICENSE (without appended text for dep1 and dep2)
      bin/
      lib/
         dep1.jar
         dep2.jar
         giraph.jar
            META-INF/
               NOTICE (with appended text for dep1 and dep2)
               LICENSE (with appended text for dep1 and dep2)

This matches with what I see when I checkout the jackrabbit-standalone
code and do a package command from maven there.  I just want to verify
that this will past muster with incubator.  This configuration
satisfies the requirement for those notices/licenses to be included?
It seems so to me, but I've been wrong about these things many times.

Thank,
Jakob

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.