Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by solo turn <so...@yahoo.com> on 2002/08/04 21:46:30 UTC

what the user wants, and svn does ...

hi!

we tried svn alpha version recently, and it worked
great for us. the following things would make working
with svn even more easy:

1. svn mkdir bla/bla
	should create both directories.
	the user wants it, so why print an error message and
	force the user to do svn mkdir bla, and svn mkdir
bla/bla
	(i know, it is the unix behaviour ... and not the
windows one,
	but that should not be a reason ;) )

2. svn mv myentry bla/myentry
	same reason as in 1

3. svn add mydir
	mydir contains a lot of files, intention was to add
the directory with contents

   what happens:
   	mydir is added, the contents not
   	now you have to work to get the contents into the
repository
   	(copy the contents away, remove intro, copy it
back and do a svn -R intro)

   would be nice:
	the typical use case is "add with content", so
	--> have a -N flag if somebody really just wants to
add the directory
	    (as with svn status)
	--> throw away the -R and make recursive he default
	--> maybe also understand "svn add *"

4. svn add -R:
	should not stop on a "file already in repository"
error,
	but continue for all files found.
	why?
	you want to add a bunch of new files in your
	project all over the place.
	regardless if some of them are already there.

	with us:
	1. we got a directory to import
	2. we got the directory again with the comment
	   "there is a few new files in the directory"
	3. then we had to add them one by one, instead
	   of just reimporting the whole thing

5. svn import:
	should not stop an a "file already in repository"
error.
	reasons as in 4.

6. svn import:
	should not insist on a new name, just use the
existing one
	(like svn add does).
	svn import -m "bla" http:/server/rep dir
		--> should create http://server/rep/dir
	svn import -m "bla" http:/server/rep file
		--> should create http://server/rep/file

	therefor also
	svn import -m "bla" http:/server/rep dir1 dir2 dir3
	is possible ... which is nice to type, and consistent
	with "svn add" :)

	if somebody really wants a new name, he could do
	a move beforhand, or afterwards.

7. svn up:
	should be save for some unwise person deleting the
".svn".
	not stop with "./dir is not a working copy
directory",
	but restore the .svn.

kr, ford.