Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Iago Toral Quiroga <it...@igalia.com> on 2005/12/09 12:36:49 UTC

Peak tests

hi!,

I'm using Jmeter to perform a peak test of my web server (100 http
requests at the same time). To do such, I've created 100 thread groups,
each one with one thread that sends a different http request. At the web
server I log the time (in milliseconds) at which each request is
received.

I need these requests to be sent to the web server as close as posible
but I noticed they are are logged at the web server in a period of time
that varies but is never lesser than 0.8 secs.

¿Shouldn't jmeter be able to send 100 requests in a leesser period of
time? ¿Is there any way to boost the launching of these requests?

I've also noticed that, if I enable the option to parse HTML in each
HTTP request (HTTPSampler.image_parser in jmx file), my web server log
tells me that jmeter needs 2 or even more seconds to send all the 100
requests, which leads me to think that some threads start processing its
response before all requests have been sent ¿can I change this
behaviour? This is a big problem, because this way, Jmeter is limited in
its capacity to send the requests as soon as posible to stress the
server.

My test machine has the following features:
CPU: 2.4 GHz
RAM: 512 MB
OS:  Debian Linux. Kernel 2.6.12.

Thanks in advance for your help.
--
Abel Iago Toral Quiroga
Igalia http://www.igalia.com

Re: Peak tests

Posted by Iago Toral Quiroga <it...@igalia.com>.
I understand what you tell me. I think the problem is a set of things:

1.- The server has to queue all the requests. Although it can have
enough threads to handle all of them, only one thread can be in
execution at a given time.
2.- Jmeter has the same problem when launching all the requests.
3.- The server needs CPU time to process incoming requests. These means
it may be processing a request and having another not loged, but queued.
4.- The same applies to Jmeter, it can have some threads processing

maybe all this stuff makes it almost impossible getting better results.

Thanks again peter!

Abel Iago Toral Quiroga
Ingeniero en Informática
Telf. +34 981 91 39 91 ext.13
Fax   +34 981 91 39 49
mailto:itoral@igalia.com
Igalia http://www.igalia.com

Re: Peak tests

Posted by Peter Lin <wo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Peak tests

Posted by Iago Toral Quiroga <it...@igalia.com>.
> [...]

Iago.

> On 12/9/05, Iago Toral Quiroga <it...@igalia.com> wrote:
> >
> > El vie, 09-12-2005 a las 15:17, Peter Lin escribió:
> > > I'm not sure I understand why you have 100 thread groups.
> > >
> > > you can put the requests in sequence in 1 threadGroup and increase the
> > > thread count to 100 with 0 second ramp up.
> > > peter
> >
> > Because the requests must be different. If I do what you say,
> > all the 100 threads within the threadgroup will send the same
> > request (the first one in the sequence).
> >
> > I tried using an interleave controller to avoid such problem, but the
> > interleave controller just deals requests for each thread, so the result
> > is the same.
> >
> > Anyway, I've also tried having one thread group and 100 threads within
> > it sending the same HTTP request, but I still have the performance
> > problem I commented in my previous email.

Abel Iago Toral Quiroga
Igalia http://www.igalia.com

Re: Peak tests

Posted by Peter Lin <wo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Peak tests

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 14/12/05, Iago Toral Quiroga <it...@igalia.com> wrote:
> El mar, 13-12-2005 a las 18:19, sebb escribió:
> > On 13/12/05, Iago Toral Quiroga <it...@igalia.com> wrote:
> > > However, is there any way to get threads of different machines execute
> > > diferent requests?
> >
> > Yes, make sure the data files are have different data in them.
>
> That works fine. Thanks sebb!
>
> Regarding to the problems with constant troughput timer, I discovered
> the following:
>
> I cannot reproduce the problem in my development environment. So that,
> in my dev. environment the constant troughput timer produces a 10
> requests per second test sending requests to the server at each second
> as it should be, but the same test, in the work environment produces the
> problem I had talked about before: sends bunches of 100 requests each 10
> seconds.
>
> This is quite weird, I can't understand why is this happening.
>
> In my development environment I'm using:
> - Debian Linux, kernel 2.6.12
> - Jakarta Jmeter 2.1.1
> - Apache 1.3
> - Java 1.5.0_04
> - CPU: Celeron 2.4GHz
> - RAM: 512MB
>
> While in the working environment I'm using:
> - Windows XP proffesional SP1
> - Jakarta Jmeter 2.1.1
> - Apache 1.3
> - Java 1.5.0_04
> - CPU: Celeron 2.4GHz
> - RAM: 512MB
>
> Any ideas? Any of you have experienced a behaviour like this one before?
> May this be happening because of a Windows or Windows JVM  issue? or may
> it be a consequence of some kind of network configuration?

Could be a JVM threading / priority issue, I suppose.

> the key question here is how does jmeter decide when to launch a set of
> requests to the server and how many when using a constant throughput
> timer?

The code is in

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/jmeter/trunk/src/components/org/apache/jmeter/timers/ConstantThroughputTimer.java

See the delay() method.

S.

Re: Peak tests

Posted by Iago Toral Quiroga <it...@igalia.com>.
El mar, 13-12-2005 a las 18:19, sebb escribió:
> On 13/12/05, Iago Toral Quiroga <it...@igalia.com> wrote:
> > However, is there any way to get threads of different machines execute
> > diferent requests?
>
> Yes, make sure the data files are have different data in them.

That works fine. Thanks sebb!

Regarding to the problems with constant troughput timer, I discovered
the following:

I cannot reproduce the problem in my development environment. So that,
in my dev. environment the constant troughput timer produces a 10
requests per second test sending requests to the server at each second
as it should be, but the same test, in the work environment produces the
problem I had talked about before: sends bunches of 100 requests each 10
seconds.

This is quite weird, I can't understand why is this happening.

In my development environment I'm using:
- Debian Linux, kernel 2.6.12
- Jakarta Jmeter 2.1.1
- Apache 1.3
- Java 1.5.0_04
- CPU: Celeron 2.4GHz
- RAM: 512MB

While in the working environment I'm using:
- Windows XP proffesional SP1
- Jakarta Jmeter 2.1.1
- Apache 1.3
- Java 1.5.0_04
- CPU: Celeron 2.4GHz
- RAM: 512MB

Any ideas? Any of you have experienced a behaviour like this one before?
May this be happening because of a Windows or Windows JVM  issue? or may
it be a consequence of some kind of network configuration?

the key question here is how does jmeter decide when to launch a set of
requests to the server and how many when using a constant throughput
timer?

thanks in advance.
--
Abel Iago Toral Quiroga
Igalia http://www.igalia.com

Re: Peak tests

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: Peak tests

Posted by Peter Lin <wo...@gmail.com>.
unfortunately, the only way to have each client machine use a test plan is
to start jmeter on several systems and then have a few people help you click
"run" at the same time.

in the case where you really need each request to be different, due to
caching, I would recommend turning off the cache to make testing easier.
assuming there's a way to turn off the cache.

peter

Re: Peak tests

Posted by Iago Toral Quiroga <it...@igalia.com>.

Re: Peak tests

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 09/12/05, Iago Toral Quiroga <it...@igalia.com> wrote:
> El vie, 09-12-2005 a las 18:10, sebb escribió:
> > n 09/12/05, Iago Toral Quiroga <it...@igalia.com> wrote:

> > > Because the requests must be different. If I do what you say,
> > > all the 100 threads within the threadgroup will send the same
> > > request (the first one in the sequence).
> >
> > Not necessarily. You can use variables in the requests, and read the
> > variables from a file using CSV Data Set. Each thread will get a
> > different line from the file (unless it wraps round).
>
> mmm... really interesting, that could save me a lot problems. Where can
> I get more information about it?

>From the User manual:

http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/component_reference.html#CSV_Data_Set_Config

Also have a look at the Wiki, particularly the JMeter FAQ.

The following is an old example, using User Parameters and StringFromFile:

http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-jmeter/JMeterFAQ#head-1680863678257fbcb85bd97351860eb0049f19ae

You can now use CSV Data Set instead (which was added since that
example was written).

If you solve a problem that's not documented, please consider updating
the Wiki ...

Re: Peak tests

Posted by Iago Toral Quiroga <it...@igalia.com>.

Re: Peak tests

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: Peak tests

Posted by Iago Toral Quiroga <it...@igalia.com>.

Re: Peak tests

Posted by Peter Lin <wo...@gmail.com>.

Re: testing a WebSphere Portal

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
Are these fixed URLs? Or do they vary?

If fixed, then record a script.

If they vary, they'll need to be extracted from the previous response.
Have a look a the various Pre- and Post- Processors.

S.

Posted by Peter Lin <wo...@gmail.com>.

testing a WebSphere Portal